got snakes?

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum. I didn't feel I had the necessary location info to post in the ID forum. I recently acquired a "large collection" of fossil bones, shells, and corals from an estate sale.

The collector lived and dug in Texas, Florida, and a little in Pennsylvania. He possibly dug in other regions but

I am going on what was labeled and what info I could get from the estate manager. I walked away with roughly 300 bone specimens (sulphur River), 30 coral/shell specimens, and 200ish fossil shark teeth (Sulphur River). Looks like a life collection of choice pieces as far as the bone specimens go. Included in the collection were 20 spearpoints out of (Sulpher River Area), 50ish small mastodon tusk fragments, and some bones and other odds and ends.

I am trying to ID and sort the collection but any a advice on how to proceed would be appreciated! The bones were broken down into boxes labeled (Mososaur bones Sulpher River) or (Mososaur/ other bones SR.). all groupings have been kept together. Collection has awesome vertebrae, fin bones, jaw sections (missing teeth) loose teeth, and some nice coral pieces. I may be able to attain more specific info related to the specific locale and formation but the original collector has passed away. Any advice on how to proceed in processing/ piecing out this collection would be appreciated!. I am staying up far later than I should trying to ID and label everything.

Good luck.

You are on a long adventure to be sure.

The Texas Sulphur River produces an enormous amount of material.

Florida specimens are, for the most part, another vastly different area producing some great stuff.

Grouping them may be your best advice.

Separating teeth may be a good place to start.

Work on creating a Gallery.

That way you can keep the specimens grouped as you wish and still be able to have TFF members help on identification.

The "spearheads" that is a different story.

Jess B.

Sounds like you found a great opportunity...and the daunting task of organizing that wonderful collection.

Enjoy!

Paul S.

...I'm back.

Post pics in the ID section any make photo groupings if you can. Will not take long for the folks on here to fill you in. I would love to see the Mosasaur material. I just love that stuff. Congrats on the collection, but I find getting out and locating this yourself is most rewarding.. You just never know what you may find!

Let me know if you need help with any PA material.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Why not start by posting pics of the stuff in this topic and ask the mods to move it to the ID section? I will be watching to see what you have though probably will not be of much help in IDing. (others will be, I have no doubt)

Archived