Since We Are Talking Aurora...

Frank Menser

Found this (Not a Phosphate nodule-just heavy p. replacement) very polished scute at Aurora. I thought at first it might be crocodilian but it lacks the raised center and on closer examination has the round center and radiating structure like the Glyptodont scutes I have. It is .50" thick, smooth and flat on the bottom and 2" across. I have seen another Glyp scute from there, so I know they do occur at Aurora.

post-1313-1235848032_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Found this (Not a Phosphate nodule-just heavy p. replacement) very polished scute at Aurora. I thought at first it might be crocodilian but it lacks the raised center and on closer examination has the round center and radiating structure like the Glyptodont scutes I have. It is .50" thick, smooth and flat on the bottom and 2" across. I have seen another Glyp scute from there, so I know they do occur at Aurora.

Glyptodonts are a Late Pliocene-Pleistocene arrival in North America. Do any of the exposures at Aurora fit that time-frame?

Here are some glyptodont osteoderms for comparison with your find.

post-42-1235852250_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest bmorefossil

that is an oddball, what did it look like before you polished it, harry i dont think glyptodonts have been found but there have been other things so you never know. Hey can you flip it over so i can see the other side

Looks like a vert symphyseal ("cookie")?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I cannot put a layer for this one as it turned up at the museum in their gravel dump. nor did I polish this it is as found.

I cannot put a layer for this one as it turned up at the museum in their gravel dump. nor did I polish this it is as found.

The reject pile in front of the museum is typically Pungo River formation material which makes it mid-Miocene.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Guest bmorefossil
Looks like a vert symphyseal ("cookie")?

yea thats what it looks like to me if the other side looks right thats what im going with

Guest bmorefossil

well you said polished in your first post lol

here is a vert symph (partial) from the same site.

post-1313-1235915775_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1235915731_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. My opinion is a phosphate nodule that looks an awful lot like a vert, but I could be wrong. It looks like it has too much wear to come out of lee creek.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

But it would be cool if it was! I was wondering what other rare fossils come out of Lee Creek? I know a few but perhaps another thread should be started for this. I know that sometimes you can find amber there.

post-1313-1235924682_thumb.jpg

This definitely came out of Lee Creek. I find a lot of small bones, teeth and shells that are Phosphate replaced-especially in Greenville. And yes, you can find some nice Amber at Aurora, though it is very hard to tell from the phospate nodules that can be very similar in color.

post-1313-1235924682_thumb.jpg

This definitely came out of Lee Creek. I find a lot of small bones, teeth and shells that are Phosphate replaced-especially in Greenville. And yes, you can find some nice Amber at Aurora, though it is very hard to tell from the phospate nodules that can be very similar in color.

Oh, I don't doubt it came out of Lee Creek. :D I just think it wouldn't have all that wear if it was fossilized, but I coulbe be wrong. I just haven't seen too many worn fossil come out of that mine.

Really? So it's not like the one one the top of the screen wear the picks change for the fossil-forum? Covered in a white outer layer? I'll have to keep my eyes out for that. I might want to bring a light source to shine though the rocks :D Just to check :D

White outer layer? Not sure what you mean there. :)

I do love hunting the Museum dump because so many people are just focused on teth they throw other goodies to the side (like verts) where they are easy to find. The black scute was just sitting on top in plain sight :D

White outer layer? Not sure what you mean there. :)

I do love hunting the Museum dump because so many people are just focused on teth they throw other goodies to the side (like verts) where they are easy to find. The black scute was just sitting on top in plain sight :D

Yeah it's a nice spot. I take a sifter :D

Let me try to explain what I meant better, look up at where it says "The Fossil Forum" in very big letters at the top of this webpage. There should be a bunch or fossils picture that will rotate every now-and-again. One of these is a piece of amber with a white outside. I think it's from Lee Creek but I am not sure.

Yeah it's a nice spot. I take a sifter :D

Let me try to explain what I meant better, look up at where it says "The Fossil Forum" in very big letters at the top of this webpage. There should be a bunch or fossils picture that will rotate every now-and-again. One of these is a piece of amber with a white outside. I think it's from Lee Creek but I am not sure.

Maybe I should look at the top of the page more often.... :faint:

...So it's not like the one one the top of the screen wear the picks change for the fossil-forum? Covered in a white outer layer?

Are you talking amber? I don't see it. :blink:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
Are you talking amber? I don't see it. :blink:

i think he was talking about the clam with the crystals in it thats the only thing i can think of.

i think he was talking about the clam with the crystals in it thats the only thing i can think of.

This:

logo16.jpg

I always thought this was amber :wacko: Maybe I am wrong?

That's is a clam shell with crystals in it.... not amber. Probably from Florida.

Ruck's Pit.

I put my vote in for 'cookie'. It is far too 'normal' looking to be a phosphate nodule, IMHO. In the Mio-Pliocene of CA, we get black, heavily phosphatized chunks of bone abraded into bone pebbles frequently, and I find specimens like that all the time. I shouldn't expect that to be too odd for Lee Creek, especially given the abundant phosphate deposits (which often require conditions that cause multiple reworking events to happen).

Bobby

Guest bmorefossil
I put my vote in for 'cookie'. It is far too 'normal' looking to be a phosphate nodule, IMHO. In the Mio-Pliocene of CA, we get black, heavily phosphatized chunks of bone abraded into bone pebbles frequently, and I find specimens like that all the time. I shouldn't expect that to be too odd for Lee Creek, especially given the abundant phosphate deposits (which often require conditions that cause multiple reworking events to happen).

Bobby

cool i didnt know you find many black phosphatized bones in Cal. here in Maryland you dont find many, well at least to the point at which this is.

Pretty much a 'truism' in Florida (especially in the South) if it's black-pick it up. Everything from fish verts, ray parts, small bones to shark teeth are preserved that way. Here's a sloth tooth collected in the Green Mill Run, NC.

post-1313-1235945403_thumb.jpg