Florida Creek Hunting

jcbshark

Chris (Search4) and I went out to a small creek in Arcadia today to do some digging. We had some rain last night and were afraid the water level would have gone up in some of the bigger creeks so it's always nice to have a backup plan. We were happy to see it was as shallow as normal when we got there but we only had half the day to hunt as we got a late start. We made the most of it and found a couple decent pieces each:)post-7921-0-96601000-1422150406_thumb.jpga couple large fish verts and a couple reptilian post-7921-0-75556400-1422150492_thumb.jpg Holmesina osteoderms and one Glyptodon as wellpost-7921-0-46987100-1422150582_thumb.jpg I had to find a couple horse teeth lolpost-7921-0-23869300-1422150655_thumb.jpgwhat appears to be a foot bone of some sort, need to do a little research on it yetpost-7921-0-57225200-1422150724_thumb.jpga few Tiger teethpost-7921-0-77293200-1422150757_thumb.jpga couple turtle dermal denticlespost-7921-0-67615900-1422150792_thumb.jpga handful of Gator teethpost-7921-0-03931800-1422150840_thumb.jpg2 Makos and 2 Hemispost-7921-0-64631300-1422150874_thumb.jpga Tapir tooth and a deer tooth to round out the hunt.Thanks for looking

Edited by jcbshark

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

You guys are great. Rained torrents this morning in DeLand, and cold and windy after it cleared up. I'm cutting a few pieces of coral left over from September and wishing I lived further south.

Nice haul for 1/2 day!

Nice variety of stuff Jeff. That's a nice Mako.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

You guys are great. Rained torrents this morning in DeLand, and cold and windy after it cleared up. I'm cutting a few pieces of coral left over from September and wishing I lived further south.

Nice haul for 1/2 day!

Thanks John, we need to get out! :)

Sweet finds I'm always jealous of your post

Thank you, I think I only shoveled a few tons of sand for a few ounces of fossils lol :blink:

Nice variety of stuff Jeff. That's a nice Mako.

Thanks Charlie, that's the nicest shark tooth I've found at this spot yet.For some reason there's just not a whole lot of shark teeth there, but it has a fair bit of terrestrial stuff :)

Love to see the trip reports and pics Jeff, keep them coming! Congrats on some nice finds as well!

Jay

Thanks Jay! :)

Nice day of hunting for you guys!

Great haul, thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice day of hunting for you guys!

Great haul, thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Thanks Tim! :)

Hey jeff..good report. As I said earlier--nice variety of stuff...not sure if you guys encountered the breeze today or were sheltered from it. It was a little brisk when i was out as the sun was going down...I'll adjust the horse tooth count...you are still in the lead and killing me--dang it! Lol. Regards, Chris

Hey Jeff good hunting today! Our finds may have been meager, and our minds may have been dreaming of open pit mines and all those glorious megs glistening in the sun after two inches of rainfall this last night, but it sure beat sitting at home in front of the tv. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

All I know is this. If there were two more of us, we wouldn't need creeks; we'd just make our own!

Still I did find some respectable smalls... Including two 8-12mm glyptodont? scutes. Drum fish tooth. Few gator teeth and partial scute. A croc tooth. Three gar scales. Two tortoise spurs. Variety of shark teeth. And a selection of *Barker beads!

See you next Saturday :ninja:

post-4117-0-65199200-1422158262_thumb.jpg

post-4117-0-46163800-1422158315_thumb.jpg

post-4117-0-55119800-1422158330_thumb.jpg

Edited by Search4

You gotta love the creeks/rivers in Florida for the variety of different types of fossils that can turn up in your sifter. Looking forward to finishing this coral reef research mission so I can head back to Florida and break out the sifter for the first time in 2015. Save a few good finds for me. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Awesome finds!!!

Thanks William! :)

Hey jeff..good report. As I said earlier--nice variety of stuff...not sure if you guys encountered the breeze today or were sheltered from it. It was a little brisk when i was out as the sun was going down...I'll adjust the horse tooth count...you are still in the lead and killing me--dang it! Lol. Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris, and yeah it was plenty breezy but being down in the creek blocked it for the most part. :)

Hey Jeff good hunting today! Our finds may have been meager, and our minds may have been dreaming of open pit mines and all those glorious megs glistening in the sun after two inches of rainfall this last night, but it sure beat sitting at home in front of the tv. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

All I know is this. If there were two more of us, we wouldn't need creeks; we'd just make our own!

Still I did find some respectable smalls... Including two 8-12mm glyptodont? scutes. Drum fish tooth. Few gator teeth and partial scute. A croc tooth. Three gar scales. Two tortoise spurs. Variety of shark teeth. And a selection of *Barker beads!

Thanks for driving out to the boonies today Chris, and I'm itching for next weekend already too lol. Shame that GW tooth is missing its root, that alone would have been a good find ! :)

You gotta love the creeks/rivers in Florida for the variety of different types of fossils that can turn up in your sifter. Looking forward to finishing this coral reef research mission so I can head back to Florida and break out the sifter for the first time in 2015. Save a few good finds for me. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Sure thing Ken, no matter how hard we try we can't find it all lol! :)

Wow Chris, those beads are crazy cool! And you found a few monster gator teeth huh!?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Still I did find some respectable smalls... Including two 8-12mm glyptodont? scutes.

Check this thread

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/43755-amazingly-small-osteoderm/

How about bigger photos of these glytodont scutes?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like you guys had another great hunt. Congrats!!

thanks Al ! : )

Wow Chris, those beads are crazy cool! And you found a few monster gator teeth huh!?

Yeah I agree. I've been doing pretty good this season grinding away with a 1/4 sifter, but it's the only way to catch them. I'm hoping to find enough to string together a necklace! LOL