Trying To Id Pennsylvanian Fossil?

okiesprout

My husband and I just found a whole bunch of these in a gravel creek bed in Beggs Oklahoma. I am pretty sure they are from the Pennsylvanian period. they are round, like a ball. they looked pretty out of place to us. We also found a bunch that were halved.

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a picture of your finds? Do the halved ones have layers around a central core?

Hi okiesprout,

Do your fossil balls look like these?

post-296-0-17069200-1422284498_thumb.jpg (Click on pictures to enlarge)

If so, then they are the floating portion of these Crinoids.

post-296-0-97408100-1422284511_thumb.jpg

post-17454-0-27018000-1422287982_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic that shows to what okiesprout was referring. She and I are new to the forum so please excuse our ignorance in uploading pics (if you can't see the pic).

The one in the upper right is near perfectly spherical and smooth. When these are split open, they are black inside.

Welcome!!

Okmulgee area (near Morris, Okla.) has a location for plant fossils that is contemporary with the more famous Mazon Creek location in Illinois.

One of our fellow forum member is one of the writers on this paper about the location. Here's a link to the PDF>

https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/handle/10088/21841/paleo_2014-MooreEtAl_OkmulgeeFlora_RPP.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

With these type of fossil nodules, many of them may be blank inside and others will contain fern-like plants and other fossils.

They'd also be associated with coal mines. Are there coal mines near your location?

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Thank you. The link doesn't seem to work. What could I Google in order to find the paper to which you're referring?

Here try this.

https://repository.si.edu/handle/10088/21841

or this

http://si-pddr.si.edu/bitstream/10088/21841/1/paleo_2014-MooreEtAl_OkmulgeeFlora_RPP.pdf

The forum member known as 'fiddlehead' is one of the writers--Jack Wittry. He's also written much material on Mazon Creek fossils.

Edited by Stocksdale

I was assuming from the location, that they were likely siderite nodules. I may be wrong and there are other possibilities. Probably need to see more of the items.

Edited by Stocksdale