Bones In Concretion

Doctor Mud

Hi Folks,

I came across this chunk of concretion recently while wandering on a beach in New Zealand. This is a Miocene marine siltstone.

There are several bone fragments that seem to run length-ways along the rock. Since the rock splits cleanly here and I can only carry a limited amount, I split of a piece to get an inside look.

The bone looks too thin to me to be mammalian and it could possibly be bird or fish. It looks like the bone should be easily exposed using an air scribe after the block is glued back together.

First image: Overview of the block with top view and views A and B. Views A and B look at the ends. The rock on view B has been wet to improve contrast between bone and rock.

post-11936-0-36844200-1422258689_thumb.jpg

Second image: Close up of the largest bone in View B. Note the interesting projections (curved pointy bits) on the top.

post-11936-0-18022200-1422258903_thumb.jpg

Last image: Split fragment from the top. Note the thin walls on the bone with interior void space.

post-11936-0-86469600-1422258961_thumb.jpg

Might be a bit difficult to tell what this is until I expose more with the scribe.

Edited by Doctor Mud

looks interesting ,i look forward to seeing what you can do with it and what you can expose. its a long walk along the rail tracks in the hot sun.

Cute! It's a little long-snouted odontocete. I'll send the link to this to Ewan.

• I found this Informative 1

Woah, how'd you get that, Boesse?

Which parts are we looking at?

Cheers.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Thanks Bobby!

Is that the rostrum (skull material) that is exposed in the fracture surface?

I can send this send to you at Otago if you are interested in this specimen.

I'd also be happy to do this after some prep. Unless you think this is important enough to be done by the professionals.

Edited by Doctor Mud

looks interesting ,i look forward to seeing what you can do with it and what you can expose. its a long walk along the rail tracks in the hot sun.

Thanks Dave,

This one is from the Canterbury coast. No walk along the tracks but it has been hot lately, with long hikes along the coast. Plenty of sunscreen and I went through 3 L of water on the day I found this.

This specimen now resides in the Canterbury Museum in Christchurch!

I was contacted by the curator of natural history who said they would like to add this to their collection. They have found several small odontocetes ("dolphins") like this one from this area. The others belong to the family Kentriodontidae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentriodontidae

They plan to do a CT scan on the concretion and then, if it looks promising prep. it out.

I think we are looking at the front of the skull on the left in the second image. My guess is that the braincase is missing. Looks like the lower jaw to the right. There could even be a tooth on the left (the black circular object).

All will hopefully become clear after the CT scan. I'll keep you posted. They have had great results with CT scans on this type of rock.

• 2 weeks later...

That went quick! Sounds exciting!

Yes, the museum contacted me and I was hoping on a plane back to Australia, so it all happened quickly.

Funny - I walked for many km this day and found this specimen on the last km before the track back up to the car, or "well picked over" ground.

Goes to show that these beaches are changing all the time and there are still cool things to be found even in accessible parts.

They said they would CT scan the concretion so I'll keep you posted.

I have another piece with bones in, but its not clear what they are. CT scanning would probably be the way to go on this bit too.

This specimen now resides in the Canterbury Museum in Christchurch!...

Outstanding! It looks like the whole connection started on the Forum, too :)

Would you please consider posting this donation in the Partner's Gallery"? LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Outstanding! It looks like the whole connection started on the Forum, too :)

Would you please consider posting this donation in the Partner's Gallery"? LINK

Yes - it all happened right here - posting an unknown, ID by our resident marine mammal expert (Boesse/Bobby) and it being noticed by the curator at the museum.

A couple of phone calls was all it took. Unfortunately I couldn't drop it off myself but I now have an invitation to look behind the scenes next time I'm in NZ!

I'm off to the link now to catch up on the specimens I donated to science over the last two years via the link!

Congratulations to our newest Paleo Partner! :goodjob:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Congratulations, Doctor Mud :D

What on earth is PaleoPartner? Is it new? o.O

PaleoPartner- when someone donates their finds to a museum or Paleontologist for further study. And ultimately helping expand the ever growing knowledge and understanding of our past.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Congratulations, Doctor Mud :D

What on earth is PaleoPartner? Is it new? o.O

Prepare to be amazed: LINK :)

• 2 weeks later...