Silicified Mystery From Northeast Oklahoma

ZmajSnoshaj

Hello Fossil Forum!,

I'm new here so I guess I'll just throw this one out. Found in Sand Springs (just outside of Tulsa, Northeastern Oklahoma) on the ancient Arkansas River (Mississippian/Pennsylvanian).

http://www.ogs.ou.edu/StatemapOGQ/OGQ-79_Sand_Springs_24K.pdf

I've been gradually exposing whatever these things are using light applications of heavily diluted muratic/hydrochloric acid and dishwashing soap gently lathered-in with a soft toothbrush. It's taken quite some time to get it to this phase of the "preparation"... but I'm curious, I'm seeing more than just one type of organism present on this piece.
Could someone perhaps enlighten me with a dose of comprehensively accurate insight? I would be ever grateful as I value your thoughts.

~Noah Benzing

F1mM2B.jpg
MxJZRB.jpg
vF0ydS.jpg
ZwOEv2.jpgEFMoRE.jpg
EoGewt.jpg
KVlMi6.jpg
3UiBzi.jpg
jxj4NY.jpg
pYaHz4.jpg
pjXgGg.jpg
sm2uvV.jpg
5LtunC.jpg
F7qgeG.jpg
qqgm9a.jpg
kFOOTY.jpg

Welcome!

That is a "hash plate" of Crinoid material. You may even have part of the Calyx in your last photo.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

agreed.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Some look like partial orthocones:

For comparison, one from the Pennsylvanian:

post-6808-0-07310100-1422319324_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Looks like a gastropod in the last picture.

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Archived