Well, without going into a lengthy explanation, yes, I found this in the Arkansas River about 3 feet under the bottom rocks and what we call the NTS (Nasty Toxic ..., unfortunately my rock hound playground is also a delisted superfund site).
It took months to finally get it to where it's at now. About half a year in fact of fervent brushing and gentle filing with a diamond coated pen file. Acid has also played a major role but I'm at the point now where I can't risk using more lest I melt what I'm trying to reveal.
Is there any readily available household remedy I can use as a protectant of sorts that I could apply on the delicate fossil material so that I can submerge this thing back into acid? Also, would Thyiglycolic acid benefit me here in this scenario?

~Noah Benzing

yTovqF.png
pbeznM.png
7aEF3f.jpg
qYgiPZ.jpg
9Ip8QK.jpg
pP6AFs.jpg
bICqlb.jpg
dQxp6b.jpg
r5Kprf.jpg
6MYnY1.jpg
NGoRkG.jpg
0cflzF.jpg
edaq4O.jpg
hCUwVy.jpg
QSSMvF.jpg
AWnnpp.jpg
xwC9hi.jpg
nzzkCf.jpg
kZNV52.jpg
hdqTET.jpg
J5ojjT.jpg
BQ28xD.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1uSydlkzQ

Here is a view of the underside.... I'm getting close to revealing the actual teeth (although I have unfortunately destroyed one or two so far).

3KdVTm.jpg

Alright I'll say it. It doesn't look organic to me. Resembles an iron concretion.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Dude, it's not an iron concretion... lol
It is caked with iron-oxide yes but in no way is it a concretion.

When attempting to uncover some truth in a scientific manner you must be careful not to impose a priori assumptions and expectations on the data. Please be open that this may be something else.

With that said could you take more photographs of the teeth? That may help others see what you see better.

When attempting to uncover some truth in a scientific manner you must be careful not to impose a priori assumptions and expectations on the data. Please be open that this may be something else.

With that said could you take more photographs of the teeth? That may help others see what you see better.

I agree. You do need to be open minded, and remember to do your research. look up a placoderm, look at the differences and share it.

I agree.

I also do not see that as a Placoderm jaw.

And regarding post #4 what do you think that is?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I am sorry, but I am not seeing placoderm material here, either.

What I see in post #4 is crinoidal limestone, with some possible trilo-bits in it, and a gastropod impression which, I suppose, could be mistaken for an eye.

I am not seeing any fish material of any type, in the pictures as provided.

Not bone, scales, or armor plating.

The images are small, and not really focused well.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sorry mate, it doesn’t look like a Placoderm (or any other vertebrate fossil to be honest). Looks like some sort of ironstone rock. You can give it a try dissolving some more, but it won’t uncover a fish.

That area is primarily Permian. I'm not seeing placoderm either...but there are fossils there. Looks like limestone embedded with Permian ocean floor hash.

How are the acid baths coming along? Curious to see what else comes out of this thing.

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

In the River I would say no, no fish there , some crinoid stuff does wash down, but I have never seen any fish stuff, except new stuff.

Sorry .

Jeff

Jeff

I must agree. In the close up photo of the "eye socket" to me it looks like an impression of horn coral pattern on the inside.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 3 months later...