Unknown Bone From Gravel Bar In Ks (Humerus?)

DylanS

Hey everyone!

Kinda new here but I found this bone which I believe to be a mammal humerus of some kind but it seems that no matter what I look up I can't find a match. I may be totally off with thinking that this is even a humerus but I don't have enough comparative material to determine. Also I know both the ends are missing but I can't tell if this is from a juvenile with non-fused epiphysis' or if they just weathered away. Most of the material we find in this river dates back to the Holocene Epoch however this one seems to be well-mineralized and displays signs of age and patina. Also the overall shape just feels different to me but I am definitely not an expert at this.

Any help is gladly appreciated! :)

post-17252-0-75143200-1422330363_thumb.jpg

post-17252-0-04621300-1422330371_thumb.jpg

post-17252-0-66621800-1422330385_thumb.jpg

My first impression, without looking at any comp material, is a juvenile (neonate) beaver humerus.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

That was one of my guesses but I compared it to a Modern Beaver (Castor canadensis) humerus and it is quite different specifically larger and wider. I have been having slight suspicions all along that I have been hesitant to voice. I found a picture of a Giant Beaver (Castoroides ohioensis) humerus from the Earlham College specimen. Is it possible that this is a humerus from an extremely young Castoroides? My friend has found Castoroides material at this location before as well.

Modern Beaver (Castor canadensis) humerus:
post-17252-0-74639300-1422375489_thumb.png
Giant Beaver (Castoroides ohioensis)
post-17252-0-86935900-1422375533.png

For side by side comparison:

post-17252-0-14562100-1422375705_thumb.jpg

post-17252-0-45414300-1422375722.png

Not sure how much infant and adult post-cranial elements can differ but I can tell that mine lacks a few of the finer details of the Giant Beaver specimen but then again it has been tumbled around in the river for a while.

Still not sure on this one, again any input is gladly appreciated !

The unknown is at best neonatal, and is exactly what I'd expect. The deltopectoral crest develops with age, and the shaft becomes longer relative to width. Also remember that the distal ephiphysis is missing, which would increase the width somewhat. I'm still going with newborn beaver kit.

That's my best guess. I've never seen any neonatal Castoroides material, but I'd think it would be somewhat larger than the unknown.

Edited by RichW9090