Fossil Vertabra Found In Rock - Southern California

devonmassyn

Hi there,

Recently we discovered this fossil embedded in a rock on the shoreline in Southern California (Los Angeles County). It seems to vertebrae from something...any ideas?

IMG_4772.jpgIMG_4777-1.jpg

IMG_4776-1.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

Edited by devonmassyn

That is all kinds of awesome! Can't wait to hear what the experts have to say. I'm sure there is more inside the rock. This needs to be rescued!

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Wow... you've got a fin there. I don't know the geology of the area, but it could be a seal or whale if it Miocene, which I think a lot of the CA coast is. If it is older it could be a marine reptile. Bobby....?

I agree, these look more like flipper bones:

for comparison

whale_fin_06.jpg

Great find!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice first post, Devon! Welcome to the forum. Cool find. This will be a fun thread to follow - thanks for sharing. Someone will be along soon to help solve the mystery. I'll be :popcorn: .

Wow. Just wow. That is AWESOME! It does look like fin bones, I agree. I am definitely following this topic! THIS ROCK 'DOES' NEED TO BE SAVED!

Oh, BTW Welcome to TFF!!!!

Edited by izak_

Great find!! Where is it located? Big county...closer to beach or desert? Would be good to pin down time period....

we are Ventura County...

Very nice! I would contact a museum with pictures in-hand and see if they have interest.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks for all the replies! I'll contact LA Natural History Museum to see if they have any interest. It's too large to move.

It's located right on the shoreline in the Southern End of the county.

I live in So. Cal. also. Whale bone fossils in the rocks along the coast are not uncommon, but this one's a beauty! Does look more Cetacean than Pinniped to me.

Heard back from NHMLA ... they are very interested in the specimen as the smaller bones look like the flipper bones of a dolphin, but the longer bones look like the flipper bones of a sea lion.

I'll take them out to see it in a few weeks and i'll keep you posted.

wow! our neogene rocks are never indurated like that. I took it for mesozoic limestone that had perhaps been quarried inland and used as rip rap to prevent erosion. Learn something new every day...

wow! our neogene rocks are never indurated like that. I took it for mesozoic limestone that had perhaps been quarried inland and used as rip rap to prevent erosion. Learn something new every day...

Many concretions (very well indurated) at Shark Tooth Hill have mammal bones in them. Yes, the primary STH matrix is pretty soft, but there are those concretions....

understood, but that doesn't look like a concretion. I see laminated limestone but again this is only a guess and I have 0 experience with west coast fossils and fossiling

It's a fossil pinniped - I've just emailed this along to Dr. Jorge Velez-Juarbe, the curator of marine mammals at NHMLA (but it looks like someone else has already done that). The elements to the top of the photo are probably pinniped metatarsals, whereas the string of articulated elements appears to be the caudal series of vertebrae of a pinniped, and are almost certainly associated.

Plax: many of our units on the west coast have laterally extensive cemented horizons that erode out as large tabular slabs. Other sections of rock will have three-dimensionally isolated spherical concretions of the "classic" variety. Likewise, many of the marine rocks on the west coast are far thicker, and often jointed and more indurated with respect to the relatively thin packages of rock on the east coast.

• I found this Informative 2

If this was a human (that's what I x-rayed).

Rt. hand AP (palm up) #1,2 (base of thumb and forefinger), then your little pinky (#5) may be near the thoracics. (see kyphosis).

Please understand this is merely a guess. (and my 1st).

Best of luck,

If this was a human (that's what I x-rayed).

Rt. hand AP (palm up) #1,2 (base of thumb and forefinger), then your little pinky (#5) may be near the thoracics. (see kyphosis).

Please understand this is merely a guess. (and my 1st).

Best of luck,

I do not want to start an argument, but are you suggesting these are humanoid fossils? Or are you merely entertaining an observation of the similarities between the anatomy of the different species?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Er, no, I hope he's not saying they're human fossils - hypothetically, based on his knowledge, that's what element they would be. But they're not: they're hindflipper elements and caudal vertebrae of an extinct seal or walrus. The lithology, preservation, and location are suggestive of rocks of the Monterey Formation, perhaps the Altamira Shale member, which is middle Miocene in age and produces articulated and associated skeletons of marine mammals.

• I found this Informative 1