Is This A Small Coral Polyp?

Mtskinner

I found this my last trip out and it appears to be a small piece of coral, but as with a lot of the items I find I'm still on the fence as to what they may be. It's 5/16" wide, 3/8" long, and was found along side of a few nice goblins. As always, any comments will be greatly appreciated!

post-13898-0-26880100-1422411958_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-17218200-1422411973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mtskinner

Sure looks like one. Do you know of any faunal lists for the area and stratigraphy you are collecting? That would be a god way to find out if they are already known and identified.

what does Cylindracanthus look like in cross section? The fact that it's phosphatized makes me lean this way. Just guessing of course.....

While I don't have/can't find any faunal lists for my area...I do know that where this came from is perfectly situated between the Cusseta sands of the Ripley formation and the Blufftown formation in Alabama.

Edited by Mtskinner

I can see the resemblance as well. I originally thought this was a piece from a Cylindracanthus as well but the two rows of holes brought me back to thinking its a spine of some sort. I guess for now I'll have to leave them both in the "I Dunno" box!

post-13898-0-33889300-1422478077_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-56347100-1422478090_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-53915800-1422478104_thumb.jpg

Cylindracanthus is a rostral spine (per David Parris, don't have the lit at hand). The holes are in the spine near where it attaches to the skull. In fact the rostrum is bifid at its base. Those are really nice cretaceous examples you have. I sent you a pm...

Thanks Plax! I definitely agree that the second one is a piece of Cylindracanthus rostral, just wish there was more info about them online. Seems like its not even known whether they were related to a chimaeroid, billfish or sturgeon as there has yet to be a complete specimen found.

As far as the 1st specimen goes...The way it tapers off quickly as if it had a rooted end has me thrown off. Hopefully these pics will show what I'm seeing.

post-13898-0-45015300-1422502027_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-56572700-1422502036_thumb.jpg

There have been fairly complete specimens found including the bifid base. Go to the North Carolina Fossil club web page and they have a pic. The resolution of "what" cylindracanthus is was pretty well decided in the paper below.

Proceedings of the South Dakota Academy of science, Vol 80 (2001) Reassessment of the affinities of the extinct genus Cylindracanthus (osteichthyes).

David C. Parris and Barbara Smith Grandstaff and Gordon Bell Jr.