Early Miocene Bear Dogs

PrehistoricFlorida

I recently picked up some very rare Early Miocene carnivore material. These were all found in North Florida.

This photo details the differences between five carnivore species from the Early Miocene. From left to right they are: Desmocyon, Metatomarctus, Borocyon, an undescribed Amphicyonid and Phoberocyon.

post-151-0-56571200-1422457267_thumb.jpg

This is a beautiful lower carnassial from Borocyon.

post-151-0-47526400-1422457435_thumb.jpg

This is a tooth I got it a couple years ago from the same site. This is from a very large species of undescribed Amphicyon. This tooth was just over four inches long.

post-151-0-55209700-1422457610_thumb.jpg

Edited by PrehistoricFlorida
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Nice teeth, Nate. I don't mean to niggle, but there appears to be only two bear dogs (Amphicyonidae) in your list of five. Desmocyon and Metatomarctus are borophagine dogs (Canidae). Phoberocyon is a bear (Hemicyonidae).

Borocyon is a synonym for Daphoenodon, a true bear dog. (That is an impressive carnassial tooth for a wolf-size bear dog.)

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Ditto with Charlie. Thanks for Sharing, Nate. You have a relatively unique position in seeing, evaluating, and even owning some of the most unique fossils from the state of Florida. I can only dream about bear-dog material.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You are correct, Harry. I am just learning about these species, and erroneously referred to them all as bear dogs. These weird creatures are a far cry from what I'm used to seeing in Plio/Pleistocene mammals.

Wow that Borocyon carnassial and huge undescribed Amphicyon canine are just gorgeous!!! It must be amazing just to be able to hold one of those very beautiful and extremely rare specimens. Thanks for sharing!!!

Wow Nate, those are gorgous !!!!!! : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

You are correct, Harry. I am just learning about these species, and erroneously referred to them all as bear dogs. These weird creatures are a far cry from what I'm used to seeing in Plio/Pleistocene mammals.

Well, I was not correct about Borocyon. I reviewed Bob Hunt's paper, and I see that he relegates Borocyon to a subgenus within Daphoenodon. I hadn't thought about the bear dogs much recently, but I should have remembered that because Hunt illustrates his paper with an image of a cast of a Daphoenodon (Borocyon) robustum jaw that I recovered. Your carnassial looks about right for robustum.

What seest thou else

Nice finds of them Bear dogs , from what I have seen some big suckers and mean too.

Were they bigger then Dire Wolves?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff L Nolan

Jeff

Nate,your assemblage is incredible! So rare, so beautiful... :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds of them Bear dogs , from what I have seen some big suckers and mean too.

Were they bigger then Dire Wolves? Jeff

Some are wolf-size, some are as large as a male African lion -- 400+ pounds.

post-42-0-01649000-1423008141_thumb.jpg post-42-0-39006400-1423008230_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

• 6 years later...

Excellent collection!I’ve also got some interesting images of amphicyon canines! Many of these are undescribed though,  but I believe that the largest ones belong to Amphicyon zhanxiangi from China, Ningxia province, which is closely relating to A.giganteus

022B5301-9B47-4555-9ED2-2B8C4A90EFD3.png

224D092A-EA64-46B1-800D-2932334A03EE.jpeg

C49758E1-D8C1-4514-92DD-961A988FBA9A.jpeg

0223A169-8B42-456F-9E3D-D975CA532C60.jpeg

016F06BB-2612-4138-8AE3-4CD5CAFB932F.jpeg

Edited by jasonlwjy
Wrong words written

14 hours ago, jasonlwjy said:

Excellent collection!I’ve also got some interesting images of amphicyon canines! Many of these are undescribed though,  but I believe that the largest ones belong to Amphicyon zhanxiangi from China, Ningxia province, which is closely relating to A.giganteus

Once again, Great photos . Thanks for sharing...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Once again, Great photos . Thanks for sharing...

My pleasure! I'm a real lover of amphicyons, I can post more images relating to fossils of these animals if you are also interesting to them!