Odd Formation In Pennsylvanian - Checkerboard Limestone?

fattsomattso

This is near a "highly restricted area" in Oklahoma (which makes me want to explore it even more...and I just might anyway). I frequently utilize Google Earth (satellite view) to scope out fishing spots and now fossil hunting spots as well since I've picked up the hobby. I came across this odd looking formation about a year ago while perusing and have been curious ever since. Please pardon the crudity of the photo as it is a pic of my monitor from my phone..... WHAT IS THAT STUFF MAN????!!!!!

post-17454-0-95926600-1422459021_thumb.jpg

Edited by fattsomattso

Is this an aerial view? from Google Earth? It looks like a secret gov't missile installation, or somesuch. Look up Igloo, SD for another example. I'm not even sure if Igloo will come up on GE.

Wow! If it wasn't for the vertical seams you would swear it was a built rock wall. Of course a good mason would stagger the joints :)

Tire tracks from 50-foot wheels?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Yes, it is an ariel view from Google Earth and it is right outside the gates of Camp Gruber, OK...near Braggs, OK

That is a classic joint pattern caused by tectonic stresses. I believe the Checkerboard Limestone gets its name from it.

The linear shape of the exposure, though, is intriguing.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.