Moroccan Fossil Hunting

Trevor

Hello everyone, I have a few simple questions. I have seen many unique and interesting fossil from Morocco and was wondering if it was possible to go fossil hunting there, as a private collector. I know the Atlas mountains are a good place to find fossils. Is it legal and what are the regulations regarding bringing fossils through countries? How do I go about fossil hunting in random hills? My uncle's friend has gone to Morocco a fews time and I have just contacted him, but this will take awhile. Just any general information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

: )

ZRS fossils in Minneapolis has been holding yearly trips to Morocco. Very nice group of individuals, appear to be very knowledgeable, and unique personalities. I would suggest checking them out.

Going with a company would be your best bet. Even though the place looks small on the map, it is a big country. I suspect you can go over there and spend three months looking for sites. Some of the more famous trilobite sites are, I am sure, in control of the locals. Same with the phosphate mines. And if you don't speak French or Arabic, good luck. One of the commercial outfits would cut through all the searching and allow you to do the collecting. These guys know the area and the locals.

That is my two cents. And I may be wrong....

Has any forum members been to morocco with one of these outfits?

I have been there on several occasions. Depending on your travel experience, it is doable. In my opinion, teaming up with a local contact is highly recommended, mandatory even. Not only to be able to find the right spots and avoid going where you're not welcome, but -more importantly- because you are providing them and their family with a source of income. Moreover, going on a trip with a local digger is usually a very nice experience.

Depending on what kind of fossils you're interested in, I might be able to help you out a bit.

I once posted a short trip report on our website (text is in dutch, but the pics speak for themselves), so you get a bit of an impression.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

I think for a first trip , buying out some local help would be a must . I did that with my 6 year old kid some years ago and it was just perfect ( contacted the local from a recommandation I got on a forum following some hearsay, etc.. ,etc..).I can recommend it but I'm sure you would find other good names put forward here. There are many advantages doing this ( at least the first time)

- as said Fred , they will bring you to the right sites without you loosing time searching for it

-they will allow you to access some sites which you wouldn't be able to access on your own ( phosphate mines for instance)

-they liaise with the locals ( yes , the economy of fossils over there is important , so a lot of people are involved: they might not all welcome you that kindly if you start digging anywhere)

- they will save you a lot of time by providing for the accommodation and logistics locally (especially if you don't speak French or arabic). It could be crucial if you cannot plan a long trip.

-you will get more respect since you will be seen as participating somewhat to the local economy by hiring locals ( compared to basic tourists) .

Then are the negative points

- it will cost you more

- because of the intricate economics over there , you may have to stop at some points or do some legs of the journey in order to fulfill some commitments of your local contact ( visit this shop because it is the cousin's , stop at this hotel ..) . It surprises you until you see how all this works.

At the bottom such trip with a local will also be based on the personal relationship you build , if you get along well , there might always be a way to do something out of the ordinary or not scheduled .

As for the regulations over there , well .....

oh , and one last thing : If you plan to prospect in the southern part of Morocco where most paleozoic sites are , I strongly suggest you focus on the period starting beginning of November , ending by the last of march . Unless you're a hardened , obsessed fossiler like my friend Dries , you might have some difficulties coping with the extreme temperatures outside of this time frame ....

If you're heading for the mesozoic sites of the coast ( Agadir , and so on ) , you have more choice .

My mistake, I had Z and R Fossils, It was ZRS Fossils. They travel to Morocco and travel within Morocco to many sites collecting fossils and minerals. My understanding is there is local help. In addition to collecting, they take in the culture too. Try info@ZRSfossils.com. If you end up going, let me know your experience. I have been very interested in attending but must reach retirement before embarking on such a trip.

I visited Morocco twenty years ago. I was interested in fossils, but not into collecting per se, but I happened onto a fossil site south of Erfoud on the edge of the Sahara in the southeast part of the country. It was a famous site for goniatites and nautiloids and it was well populated with local collectors. I didn't look like anything could stop one from just digging around, except everybody and their brother would try to sell you the ones they've found. It seemed like there were fossils for sale everywhere in the country and even in the most remote spots someone would appear and try to sell me a fossil. I ended up buying a few and mostly gave them away as gifts. No problems bringing them through customs. From my experience I have to say there are many excellent reasons for visiting Morocco; scenery, culture, art, great hiking, and a chance to meet travelers from all over. If you plan to make fossil collecting the primary focus follow the advice of others and hook up with a tour group. Also, I was there in April. There was still a lot of snow in the High Atlas and temperatures in the 90s in the Sahara. Good luck whatever you do. Would love to hear about your experience.

By the way, Frederik , nice to read you there ... World is a small thing !

Likewise!

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Just remember, you're from the US. If you do go watch your back. Some will say its ok and there's nothing to worry about, I however disagree. This isn't to scare you away from going, but rather to make sure that you have an understanding Americans are targeted everyday overseas. My wife's uncle works for the UN and when he goes to that region he must say he's from Canada...

Just be careful.

Paul

...I'm back.

But at the same time, Morrocco is one of the more stable countries in Africa, and really has no problem with terrorism and kidnapping. Probably one of the best countries to experience Muslim culture... the regular Muslims, not the bomb carriers. The call of the meuzzin in the early AM hours is something I will never forget. Next door in Algeria is a different tale.

In my travels I have met many Americans who fly the Canadian flag. Some for safety, and some because Americans have a bad reputation in many countries. Canada is seen as a peaceful and neutral country, (even if they have soldiers scatterred throughout the world also). Believe it or not, The US is seen as an Empitre Building Bully even in countries who are our friends. I remember some people telling me that they are sick and tired of having to defend the US when our govt was making some stupid foreign policy decisions. With a Canadian flag on their backpack, no one asked them What The Heck is your country doing.

If you do go, we all want a nice report on TFF.

Archived