South Western Pennsylvania

dialout

Anyone care to share a spot? I'm looking to get my kids into fossil hunting, and am trying to find somewhere to start. I keep reading about St. Clair, but that is about 5 hours from me. I'm down in the extreme left corner of the state.

I'm trying to take advantage of the 2 feet of snow around my house by planning my nice weather expeditions

Thanks for any advice

I would suggest getting a copy of Donald Hoskin's "Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania" which lists sites in just about every Pennsylvania county. I know some of the sites are no longer accessible, but there's plenty of information in there and plenty of ideas. Good luck. West Virginia, I've heard also has plenty of good sites. Good luck.

• I found this Informative 2

Jeffrey's advice is as good as it gets! Look at road cuts and construction areas in your neighborhood and you should find fossils. Be careful with the young ones along roads etc of course. You are in a good Permian and Pennsylvanian period area if my memory serves me correctly. Plant and marine fossils should be fairly common.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Here is a link or two to get you started - keep in mind some info is old, and may no longer be accurate.

Good luck and Regards,

Fossil Cliff is pretty close. Let me try to find a link for you! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Awesome lissa I hike that trail quite often threw Cecil and McDonald...that rennerdale portion with fossil cliff is only about 15 miles north of me...and incredibly enough I have never even heard of it. That is a definate spot to check out.

Fossildude...good links. I have seen that pamphlet before, actually have it downloaded but have not read it yet.

Jeffery...thanks for the book tip, I'll hunt for it while the snow is on the ground.

Great advice so far everyone. Thank you. I'm really getting jazzed about going out hunting again. I haven't done it in probablly close to 25 years.

I live in Washington, PA. You need to friend Harris on here... He lives near you and goes on fossil trips all the time. There is also a lapidary class in Canonsburg if you're interested. Monongahela rockhounds group is right there as well. :D

• I found this Informative 1
  • 2 months later...