Unidentified, Undigested Fish Remains In Cretaceous Coprolites

GeschWhat

I am trying to identify the some bony fish inclusions in coprolites from the Eagle Ford Formation in Texas. Can anyone out there identify fish by vertebrae and scales? I have not been able to find any teeth in them that would help with ID.

The first two pictures are from a coil-shaped coprolite that has numerous bony inclusions. I'm assuming the vertebrae (40x) and bony thing that looks like coral (20x) are from the same fish. I forgot to take measurements of this one, but the photos were taken through a microscope.

The fancy scale is in a different coprolite and measures about 4 mm x 1.5 mm.

The vertebrae in the last picture measures approx. 1.25 mm x 0.75 mm.

Thanks for your help!

post-17480-0-34861000-1422504942_thumb.jpg

post-17480-0-74277100-1422504944_thumb.jpg

post-17480-0-17313700-1422504946_thumb.jpg

post-17480-0-74822000-1422504947_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Great pictures. Sorry I can't help with the ID but would love to see the coprolites too.

Fish ID from isolated vertebrae and scales is almost impossible. Based on the sizes you gave of around 1mm, you are looking at a handful of fish. The most likely candidates are Enchodus ferox, Deltaichtheys sp., or Apsopelix sp. Then again, you may have the remains of fry from a larger species.

Pic #2 looks somewhat like a jaw from an Albulid fish which would support Deltaichtheys.

One thing I can say for certain... Spiral coprolite = shark

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I hadn't visited the forum since I originally posted (Sorry...I didn't realize I had to follow the topic to get emails). I can't quite figure out how to post additional pictures, so I added a link to those posted my website. If you take a look, be aware that I just started my coprolite website and it's not really ready for prime time. Please forgive any errors/missing data,

Coiled spiral coprolite

Coprolite with fish spine

You have presented some fascinating specimens on your site, with just the right touch of humor befitting the subject.

I applaud your work, and I thank you for showing it here :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great website! Nice of you to "pass" it along to us. If you're ever back through Texas, and find yourself near Dallas around the

second Wednesday of most months (3rd in March because of spring break) bring your st*ff to the informal show-n-tell we do before Dallas Paleontological Society meetings. We love to see special things and your collection may even be over-qualified :)

Great website! Nice of you to "pass" it along to us. If you're ever back through Texas, and find yourself near Dallas around the

second Wednesday of most months (3rd in March because of spring break) bring your st*ff to the informal show-n-tell we do before Dallas Paleontological Society meetings. We love to see special things and your collection may even be over-qualified :)

Ah...a punny guy! Feel free to use some of that wit to help me name my specimens! I love show and tell and and will keep it in mind if I'm ever down there. Some mighty fine poop has come out of the Dallas area! If you happen to be at the Tucson Gem Show next year, I plan on having them on display.

• 4 weeks later...

Fish ID from isolated vertebrae and scales is almost impossible. Based on the sizes you gave of around 1mm, you are looking at a handful of fish. The most likely candidates are Enchodus ferox, Deltaichtheys sp., or Apsopelix sp. Then again, you may have the remains of fry from a larger species.

Pic #2 looks somewhat like a jaw from an Albulid fish which would support Deltaichtheys.

One thing I can say for certain... Spiral coprolite = shark

Well there you go.....now you got the scoop on da poop.

Jess B.

Archived