Petrified Peach?

donapplianceman

I'm currently in possession of what I believe to be a partially eaten petrified fruit of the peach family. I'm considering getting it x-rayed to determine if the "pit' is actually a pit. would an x-ray show the internals of a petrified pit? If this is a peach, what would something like that be worth?

Why not first try "regular" (i.e. light) imagery? A photograph would be quite handy here...

• I found this Informative 1

Searching for green in the dark grey.

A picture would help a lot. As for the x-ray....x-rays cannot pass through dense material hence the white image So I highly doubt that this tool would reveal anything diagnostic, but you never know. A CT would reveal more structural information.

As to its value..I will only say that appraisals are not an attribute of TFF.

I'd post some pictures here as I'm sure someone might be able to help.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by Raggedy Man

...I'm back.

I'm sure most folks here are already thinking "concretion" without even seeing a picture, because the truth is that the soft tissue of something like a peach doesn't fossilise in a manner that leaves it looking anything like a three-dimensional peach if it leaves anything recognisable at all. Harder fruit-like materials with some structure such as palm fruits for example do have the ability to leave a mineralised fossil cast if the preservation conditions are right. The hard interior pit of many fruits also has potential.

If you use the search engine on the forum and type in "peach" you will see that there have been several such claims in the past but the objects concerned are not fossil fruits and usually not petrified pits from fruits.

As paleflor says, a picture would be quite handy (in fact, essential).

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

NOT THIS AGAIN!

The last time, this did not end so well -

Don, Please, for the love of pete, ... get someone to take some pictures and post them here.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

NOT THIS AGAIN!

Don, Please, for the love of pete, ... get someone to take some pictures and post them here.

Regards,

Ahh, yes. Thanks, Tim. ;) That was a notable hijacking.

Don, as you know, TFF is not in the valuation business and until photos are posted members cannot help with an identification.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

NOT THIS AGAIN!

Regards,

Lol

Context is critical.

what would something like that be worth?

Whatever someone would be willing to pay.

Context is critical.

deja vu, all over again

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I did attempt to send photos some time ago, but was unsuccessful due to picture density or something like that. I had James Reed from hell creek formation look at it, and he said it was definitely not a concretion. He also said it could be a petrified peach but without an x-ray or MRI on the "pit" we couldn't be sure. I will try to get new pics sent. I'm picturing a scenario of a tree creature eating it: first on one side then the other. Afterward it was possibly dropped into a bog down below. The piece has what looks like a 1.5" "pit in dead center. What would be the meat, or soft body, is agatized, and there a very thin layer around the outside that would have been the skin. If I can determine the internal structure of the "pit" that would verify if it's a fossil or otherwise.

From re-reading the past thread and now this one, my conclusion has come to you having a tendency for finding the wrong sorts of people to show the "specimens" to.

Some photos would be appreciated, they do not necessarily have to be uploaded to TFF - you could use an image hosting site if all other attempts fail. However, concretion also comes to mind.

Edited by Kosmoceras

post-2806-0-66498600-1422656907.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well, without pictures in support, there’s a whole bunch of things it could be. Also worth a mention that although other Prunus spp drupe fruits (such as plums) originated in the Americas, the peach apparently did not. Genetic studies suggest that it originated relatively recently in NW China and didn’t reach the Americas until the 16th Century via Spanish explorers.

The earliest known fossil Prunus specimens are wood, drupe (the pit-stone) and seed (the kernel within the pit-stone) but not flesh, plus a leaf from the Middle Eocene of the Princeton Chert in British Columbia.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

For reference, some verified fruit (Rhabdocarpus sp., Pennsylvanian):

post-6808-0-06123200-1422659286_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how tasty it was, though....

• I found this Informative 2

Context is critical.

I forgot to mention that I own a rock and fossil shop. I see concretions on a regular basis. This is unlike any I 've seen. James Reed is a noted paleontologist. I do not appreciate the snide comment about who I choose to hang out with. Also, I did not state that it was from here in America. I got it in a collection from an individual who traveled around the world and is now deceased. I will send photos again the first chanced I get. If I figure out how to look inside the "pit" I'll send pics of that as well. I'm sure all are curious to see.

I forgot to mention that I own a rock and fossil shop. I see concretions on a regular basis. This is unlike any I 've seen. James Reed is a noted paleontologist. I do not appreciate the snide comment about who I choose to hang out with. Also, I did not state that it was from here in America. I got it in a collection from an individual who traveled around the world and is now deceased. I will send photos again the first chanced I get. If I figure out how to look inside the "pit" I'll send pics of that as well. I'm sure all are curious to see.

Don, the TFF staff will make sure this topic remains 'civil'.

Images of your find, as it is now, would add to the discussion. Looking forward to seeing them.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Don, I realize it can be difficult moving into the two dimensional dialog that is the computer world. I can appreciate the difficulties of not having a direct face to face conservation. Let me help you see what we hear....

This is an example dialog.

I have an incredible fossil that I believe is a three dimensional jellyfish that was possibly partially eaten by a sea turtle.

I got it from some one, from some place, and Painshill ;) said its really a jellyfish partially ate by a sea turtle.

The forum response will always be Please show us some pictures.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

While we're waiting on the peach, I guess the only way to cheer everyone up is to post some pics of another fruit...How about a "pear" lol. I found this thing while hunting rocks over 15 years ago, it was half buried in a gravel bar. Have no clue what it is but everyone that sees it thinks it's a pear...and I have to admit it does resemble one! Whatever it is, sadly half of it is missing! Enjoy!!!

post-13898-0-50038800-1422674132_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-11205300-1422674156_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-11430900-1422674269_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-31195000-1422674286_thumb.jpg

[...] I'm sure all are curious to see.

I am, for one. A photograph says more than a thousand words. Moreover, this discussion will lead nowhere useful without one, even if we waste several thousand words on it. So yes, show us a picture! Please. Is this the James Reed you are referring to? Did he, when telling you that it is "definitely not a concretion", provide you with an argumentation? Also, there is still a long way between 'not a concretion' and 'a fruit of the peach family'. How did you arrive at that identification? If the specimen comes from outside the US, can you be more specific on the locality?

Edited by paleoflor

Searching for green in the dark grey.