What Are These?

blackmoth

Pieces in the pic are from the same site and shale layer of the calamites. They are also scattered every where, ignored by fossile hunters. I really have to ask experts here, as it seems to me that everybody knows what it is. It must be some trivial stuff.

Are those vein like stuff artifacts?

post-17253-0-41435700-1422694547_thumb.jpg

post-17253-0-20817500-1422694558_thumb.jpg

post-17253-0-99003600-1422694565_thumb.jpg

Hello Blackmoth,

I have always assumed these were plant pieces that were either decorticated, or just rough bark type pieces that are basically unidentifiable down to a genus or species, and thereby, of little or no consequence to collectors.

I know there are similar fossils in St. Clair, PA, that get overlooked and passed over as well.

Perhaps one of our plant experts will chime in with a more precise answer. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Perhaps one of our plant experts will chime in with a more precise answer.

I hope so as my major purpose is not to collect beautiful pieces, but to gain relevant knowledge on nature.

Hello Blackmoth,

I have always assumed these were plant pieces that were either decorticated, or just rough bark type pieces that are basically unidentifiable down to a genus or species, and thereby, of little or no consequence to collectors.

I know there are similar fossils in St. Clair, PA, that get overlooked and passed over as well.

Perhaps one of our plant experts will chime in with a more precise answer. :)

Regards,

I'm with Tim on this one. No idea how to identify this further.

Aren't all pieces that allow you to "gain relevant knowledge on nature" beautiful in that way?

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I'm with Tim on this one. No idea how to identify this further.

Aren't all pieces that allow you to "gain relevant knowledge on nature" beautiful in that way?

I am perticulalry interested in the pieces with stripes perpendicular to its length. There are so many of them. I could not find any

description online that matches this feature.

post-17253-0-10677000-1423227523_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackmoth

This structure reminds me of Artesia.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Artisia the pith of Cordaites? BTW it is from the same carboniferous/permian layers

Edited by blackmoth

Could these be artifacts of the coalification process (thinking along the lines of coal cleats)?

Could these be artifacts of the coalification process (thinking along the lines of coal cleats)?

They certainly could, and they could also be decorticated/partially decomposed bits of 'mulch'. As is usual with Carboniferous botanicals, fossil specimens with associated parts are few and far between.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 months later...

The nine-year-old found a very clear example of Artisia. Beautiful.