Possibly A Big Piece Of Coral?

jimbobubbles

My son and I found this embedded into the mud on a hiking trail in south Dallas (Desoto). The curved flattened surface was visible and we thought it might be a split ammonite. The more we uncovered it the odder it became.

The smooth holes are the oddest part to me. they are so perfect that it seems unlikely to me they are erosion.

So dear people who are smarter than I, what do you think?

post-14581-0-30519900-1422712633_thumb.jpgpost-14581-0-00969000-1422712660_thumb.jpgpost-14581-0-89005100-1422712686_thumb.jpgpost-14581-0-80928900-1422712709_thumb.jpgpost-14581-0-40253400-1422712736_thumb.jpg

It looks like a rudist clam, possibly Durania, that is common in the Upper Cretaceous Austin Chalk Fm. in North Texas. Durania Sp. looked like tall, hollow, thick-walled organ pipes that had a small valve covering the top. They often occurred in colonies. Although not obvious from the photos, Durania has a texture not unlike petrified wood grain. Hence, they are strange-looking bivalves that look like palm trees. I mistook the first one that I found in Allen Texas as an odd fossilized palm tree.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

DPS has it figured out. I recently learned that one reason you often only find a portion of the full diameter is that one side would always have a much thinner section and thus tended to be broken or erode away faster.

Hi,

So dear people who are smarter than I, what do you think?

Attention not to confuse intelligence and to know (knowing ?) ! ;)

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg