Some Dromaeosaur Sickle Claws I Have Owned In The Past And Currently.

hxmendoza

My Hell Creek Microraptorine sickle claw that I traded for a larger Hell Creek Dromaeosaur sickle claw. Probably Acheroraptor.

post-7726-0-51072400-1423030271_thumb.jpg

The Microraptorine sickle claw after full restoration. It is related to Hesperonychus. I will miss it:

post-7726-0-58967900-1423030410_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-40092300-1423030440_thumb.jpg

Edited by hxmendoza
  • I found this Informative 1

Bambiraptor sickle claw I used to own. This claw was a real beauty. From the Two Medicine Formation.

post-7726-0-49626600-1423031235_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-71738500-1423031270_thumb.jpg

Edited by hxmendoza

Very nice! Did you find any of these yourself, or were they all purchased? Nice restoration on the Acheroraptor, too. :D

Mediospirifer, thank you. They were purchased or traded for.

Edited by hxmendoza

Thanks for that link. I was not aware of that paper. I guess I can call all my Lance and Hell Creek dromaeosaur teeth Acheroraptor. (and the one claw, too).

JPC can you post a pic of your claw?

And yes, if your Hell Creek teeth have ridges on them and look like Saurornitholestine teeth they are Acheroraptor.

post-7726-0-99865500-1423034189_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-19754000-1423142026_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-21328900-1423142207_thumb.jpg

Edited by hxmendoza

Super Nice Claws Henry.

Also let me add on the Acheroraptor that the one of the other diagnostic features is that the anterior serrations are much smaller than the posterior ones.

Troodon: Thank you! Also, the disparity in size between the anterior serration denticles and the posterior serration denticles is a diagnostic feature for all the Dromaeosauridae.

The diagnostic feature of Acheroraptor teeth are the recurved teeth along with the two to three ridges on each side on the enamel.

This is not to be confused with the teeth of Zapsalis. They have no anterior serrations, except for a keel. They do have Posterior serrations. But they are not very recurved and mostly have a straight posterior edge. They have many more prominant enamel ridges too. They can look like Paranychodon teeth superficially. But true Paranychodon lacustris teeth do not have any serrations at all. These are Zapsalis teeth: post-7726-0-31423000-1423068804_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-28977600-1423068829_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-89339500-1423068853_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-11024500-1423068883_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-10826700-1423068904_thumb.jpgpost-7726-0-91124700-1423068924_thumb.jpg

This is a true Paranychodon lacustris tooth:

post-7726-0-49626900-1423069014_thumb.jpg

Edited by hxmendoza
  • I found this Informative 2

JPC: email me. I have a PDF somewhere. Just need to find it.

Also, can I see a picture of your claw that you mention above?

Well Paronychodon will soon be undergoing a significant change. I provided a Hell Creek jaw section to a leading theropod museum that contained both Paronychodon and Richardoestesia teeth in it. The jaw has been under study for over a year and even the experts are having difficulty placing it in the proper family. Stay tuned.

Troodon: I had heard a rumor about that. There's supposedly also a jaw out of the Hell Creek Formation of Powder River County in Montana that also shows variable tooth morphologies of these same taxon.

Is this the same jaw or a different one?

It'll be nice when the paper, or papers are published so there can be further refining of all these tooth taxons. Thanks for the heads up!

What a fantastic collection

Sseth: just in case, I wanted to clarify that the pictures of the Zapsalis, Paronychodon, and Acheroraptor teeth are not my specimens. I do own my own beautiful representative teeth of these taxon too. But I have not photographed them. In the interest of an expedited response I uploaded pictures I had in my database of nice representatives. I wasn't sure if you thought they were actually mine or not.

Troodon: I had heard a rumor about that. There's supposedly also a jaw out of the Hell Creek Formation of Powder River County in Montana that also shows variable tooth morphologies of these same taxon.

Is this the same jaw or a different one?

It'll be nice when the paper, or papers are published so there can be further refining of all these tooth taxons. Thanks for the heads up!

Same jaw .. Actually has three tooth morphologies on one jaw.

Same jaw .. Actually has three tooth morphologies on one jaw.

Would that be the Paronychodon, Richardoestesia gilmorei, and the Richardoestesia isosceles morphotypes?

Paronychodon, Richardoestesia isosceles and a unidentified tooth that appears fish like that is undescribed.

Richardoestesia gilmorei is a valid species.

• I found this Informative 1

Paronychodon, Richardoestesia isosceles and a unidentified tooth that appears fish like that is undescribed.

Richardoestesia gilmorei is a valid species.

Thanks Frank,

I'm glad to hear R. gilmorei is valid and not one of the involved Morphotypes. I suspected as such, so it's nice to know my reasoning was going in the right direction.

The current iteration of a long, proud, and scary line:

post-423-0-30507100-1423151181_thumb.jpg

;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!