Mammoth Fur (Hair)?

gomcse

I'm hoping some of you have experience with the company and product my question is about. Can anyone tell me if this item looks like authentic Mammoth Fur/hair? I don't know anything about it except that most stuff advertised is actually Yak fur. The dealer has perfect e-bay feedback with over 2200 replies, and apparently she works fossil shows. The colors in this photo are very accurate to what I see when I look at it in my home under a daylight lamp. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I don't know if posting a link to e bay or mentioning the dealer by user ID is allowed, so I will wait to hear from you guys before doing that. Thanks in advance!

post-10070-0-39019800-1423121580_thumb.jpg

Edited by gomcse

I don't know the dealer but I put some pointers on mammoth hair in this thread previously:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/47435-is-this-genuine-mammoth-hair/?hl=%2Bmammoth+%2Bhair

From a picture alone, I think all I would be prepared to say is that it potentially looks OK.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Thank you! I agree that it looks good, but that is based on comparisons with other photos of authenticated mammoth hair. The video you posted was very informative and helpful. Maybe I will take my sample to UCSD or the Museum for some microscopic verification.

We've had interesting topics on buying from eBay. I used your exact argument in regards to seller ratings. A topic was then posted about a fossil for sale on ebay that was misrepresented by a 100% seller. I will say that there is a lot of mammoth hair out there. So the odds are in your favor, but it would be wise to authenticate your specimen.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

• 6 months later...

I am fairly certain I bought mine from the same seller.

Has anyone with the means to do so ever bought a few different samples like this and tested/authenticated them? Where would you even go to have them tested/authenticated?

Robert
Southeast, MO