Some Sorta Nut?

halfwayokay

Hi everyone! When I was a little kid I found this fossil while swimming in Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. I've always cherished it, but now I kinda what to know what the heck it is! I'm guessing some sorta nut or seed, but I'd like to get more specific answers. Any ideas??

Thanks!

post-17528-0-81207600-1423330580_thumb.jpg

Good image! The specimen is very interesting...I don't know what it might be. Someone here more familiar with the geology of the area probably will, though, so I'll stay tuned :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a compilation of the photos I took. Please note that the pastel blue and pink flecks are chalk or something. Like I said, I found it when I was just a little kid.

This is exciting!!

post-17528-0-70384800-1423332391_thumb.jpg

I am wondering whether it might be a weathered carbonate concretion?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Unfortunately i do see more of a concretion then seed. Seeds of this size would have more of a ribbed or walnut texture.

Try googling Trigonocarpus sp. and you can see what i am referring to. Also that is just one example and a general term used to describe multiple seeds from the Carboniferous period.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Oh interesting! I'm bummed that it's not a nut or seed, but it's still a really neat thing to have. Thanks for the help, everyone!!

I am far from expert, so don't just take my word for it.

What would really help is to figure out what formation it came from. Then we came get a time period to work with.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

~Charlie~

"Well ain't that a peach..."

Some will get the C&C reference...most probably won't..lol

Paul

P.S. Very interesting specimen! Regardless of its origins, it's still pretty cool!!

...I'm back.

Pennsylvanian

There's a geological survey available. It's an interesting read. I tried to post a link, but it didn't work

...I'm back.

The rocks around Lake Cumberland are Mississippian and have very abundant geodes. These would be marine deposits and a nut would be very rare especially in the Mississippian. I am going with concretion also but it is a very interesting one.

Mississippian, mainly Ft. Payne formation, so it would not be a nut, There are some very interesting geodes and concretions.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived