Finally--evidence Humans Hunted Camels In N.a.

Guest N.AL.hunter

What a buried treasure story!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great story, thanks for posting it. A modern day buried treasure in someones yard, makes me want to go out and do some landscaping.

That's all? I need to find one quick! Do you know if they are evenly distributed across the Continental U.S.?

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Two museums I have visited, the Tennessee State Museum in Nashville and the Oakville Indian Mound Museum in Oakville, AL, both have caches on display along with many other artifacts that were found as individual finds. The Oakville museum has the largest collection of artifacts on display that I know of in Alabama and it is free. Among the 1000s of artifacts, several groupings were found all together as a cache. I must admit that i have had fantasies about finding such a cache.

Landscapers were digging a hole for a fish pond in Patrick Mahaffy's front yard when they discovered a cache of 83 Clovis tools.

A biochemical analysis of blood on some of the tools tested positive for camel, horses, sheep (probably bighorn), and bears.

Opponents to the overkill hypothesis have long stated the lack of camel kill sites is evidence against the theory. This always seemed illogical to me. Clovis men killed mammoths, but couldn't figure out how to kill a camel? Of course, the naysayers can still say the camels were found dead and the Indians butchered the carcasses. I say, "c'mon, what do you need--a videotape?"

Mr. Mahaffy's going to donate most of the tools to the museum but he's going to rebury (!?) some.

Source: Associated press article 2-27-09

EDIT: Merged for continuity

that was a really good article to read. This does prove that camals were in NA.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

that was a really good article to read. This does prove that camals were in NA.

I think with all of the camel fossils that have been found here, it just stands to reason they would hunt them.

Food's food!

post-423-1236120036_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 11 years later...