Help W/ Tooth And Vertebra Id?

sirexnoctilio

Hey there!

I'm new to this forum and am curious about some fossils that I've had for a while now. I've attached photos of two fossils that were found at Hogtown Creek in Gainesville Florida about 2 years ago. One of them looks like a canine tooth (~1.25 inches) and the other is a vertebra of something. Wondering if the experts here may have any ideas about the animals they came from? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

post-17536-0-99006500-1423368842_thumb.jpg

post-17536-0-00876200-1423368857_thumb.jpg

post-17536-0-58972000-1423368871_thumb.jpg

post-17536-0-00426500-1423368888_thumb.jpg

The vert looks similar to a fish vert to me :)

Edited by jcbshark

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

The vert definitely looks like fish to me. As for the tooth, porpoise maybe? This is just a guess based on what I have seen on here before but I am by far no expert on these. Nice finds and welcome to the forum.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

thanks for your thoughts--appreciate it! Harry-the tooth is not flattened on either side but it does look like something chewed part of the enamel at some point.

looks more premolarish to me... witht hat little swelling at the base of the enamel on the "inside" edge... but no idea what animal

Delphinid?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!