Sign in to follow this  
newmtdigger

New To Fossil Hunting

newmtdigger

Well, I recently found a nice deposit of fossils. I've always been interested in fossils, but this is my first time actually finding some. Now what do I do??? Most of these are Baculites, some misc shells. Is there any $ value to these? Any tips on preparation?

post-17538-0-09565800-1423403764_thumb.jpg

post-17538-0-80377400-1423403829_thumb.jpg

newmtdigger

Hey all, so I'm brand new to all this. I've always been interested in fossils. I just recently found a nice deposits of marine fossils in Montana, I believe it would be the Bearpaw formation. This area has been excavated so I've been picking up fossils that have been disturbed. I just found the vein yesterday with undisturbed fossils. So now what do I do this all these? I believe most are baculites and some misc shells. Are there any $ value for these? Any tips on preparation? I'm especially curious on how to prepare the Baculites. Many have some calcification on the outside, some have nice pieces of "shell" with beautiful mother of pearl look. Some are just the fossilized rock. Any help and advice would be appreciated!!!

post-17538-0-21622400-1423405043_thumb.jpg

post-17538-0-71735500-1423405090_thumb.jpg

snolly50

The easiest way to get a rough idea of "value" in terms of $ is to do a search on eBay. This will give an idea of what others are asking for similar pieces. It's an active and dynamic market, so it's a decent indicator of what things are going for. There are some stupid unrealistic prices, so don't be distracted by a single offering. Of course it's best to follow items over time to see if they sell and at what price, if it's an auction. Good luck with your finds. I know it's exciting to uncover a nice piece.

Auspex

Fascinating, aren't they? There is something to be said for keeping them 'in the raw', as they are already appealing.

Make a written record of when and where they were found, the formation, and what else was present.

The value of a fossil is the value of the imagination you invest in it. :)

newmtdigger

Good deal, I was just curious about the value. Planning on keeping them until I run out of room! Some of them have a very fine, powdery white covering that I conclude would be some sort of calcium from the shells. Would you remove this fine powder to uncover the details underneath? Any tips for bringing out the color in the shells. When I got these home I just took the dirt and mud off with warm water and a toothbrush. When I've thought of fossils in the past I would picture dull colored bone. It amazes me that the colors in the shells are still so vibrant!