Pa Site

BonemanX3

Hey I've got a quick question. In Pennsylvania If you go down Highway 100 you'll reach sell road. You keep going to Bitners corner and then down Wieand Ct. Now on that street there's a nice sized construction site filled with shale. I was just wondering if anyone knew if you wer'e allowed to hunt there?

Hey I've got a quick question. In Pennsylvania If you go down Highway 100 you'll reach sell road. You keep going to Bitners corner and then down Wieand Ct. Now on that street there's a nice sized construction site filled with shale. I was just wondering if anyone knew if you wer'e allowed to hunt there?

I don't think I know that site, but if it's a construction site I would try to approach the people working there and see if they let you collect. When you talk to them, don't say the word "hunt", say "collect". I don't even say fossils sometimes. I just say, "pick up some old shells....it sounds less important and less invasive. No one can advise you if you should just go in and collect on a weekend when they are not there. use your own judgement and do it at your own risk if you decide to do it this way.

Mike

That's my problem though. I know how to approach them and ask but there's never anybody there!

Is their a fence?Or no trespass sign ? If not just play stupid . You'll find that construction guys wont give a hoot. as long as it's not dangerous for you to be there.

Is their a fence?Or no trespass sign ? If not just play stupid . You'll find that construction guys wont give a hoot. as long as it's not dangerous for you to be there.

OFFICIALLY: Don't do anything illegal.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All right I'm gonna give it a shot as soon as I can I'll let you guys know if it works out or not

That is a rather irresponsible reply and should be deleted. IMO.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Don't see why that would be iresponsible. If there's nothing telling you not to it must not be to important to them. Anyway I don't think there doing any construction there anymore.

So who owns the land? Do you know anyone who doesn't have a fence completely around their property? Would they think it ok for someone to just remove stuff from their land/property?

KOF, Bill.

There's another problem......I don't know who owns it. It isn't like a house where you can ring the doorbell or look it up. I've searched all over the internet and for signs around the costruction site for logo's or names but got nothing

PARDON!!! I don't know how it is there in england. But for all he knows he could be on public land. What's the matter, you never went exploring before? I'm not saying he should break into the place. I asked him if there were signs or something so I also don't see how that's irresponsible. :)

Likewise, for all he knows, it could be private.

If someone pulls down a "Private property" sign one day, and I collect on that property the next, would it be legal, just because there was no sign.

Also

"You'll find that construction guys wont give a hoot. as long as it's not dangerous for you to be there".

Does that make it right?

KOF, Bill.

Likewise, for all he knows, it could be private.

If someone pulls down a "Private property" sign one day, and I collect on that property the next, would it be legal, just because there was no sign.

You didn't answer the question! Didn't you ever go exploring before?

Well boneman, I guess there is only one way to find out. Good luck

Sorry, missed that bit.

Yes I have explored, land which I KNEW was public and private land, with permission.

I collect Red Crag fossils from Walton on the Naze, Essex, England, for instance. It is against the law to collect from the cliffs. Collecting from slumped cliff material is allowed though, along with collecting washed out Red Crag fossils from the shore. The latter two, are the areas I collect from.

It just seems to me that it is wrong to suggest that action, on a public forum. Who, if Boneman does go that route, is responsible if he has an accident? Him, you for suggesting it, the forum for allowing the suggestion to be posted, (so condoning it, only one administrator has said "don't do anything illegal"), or the landowner?

KOF, Bill.

Technically It doesn't matter who suggested it- I took the initiative to actually do it. And even if no a person had responded to this topic after a couple of days I would've tried it anyway. And they can't arrest me for it cause' they didn't make sure that people knew not to go there.

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Where I am from, land does not have to be posted. It is the individual that has the responsibility to know if they are trespassing or not. As a judge will certainly let you know-ignorance of the law is no excuse. Let me also say that one should ALWAYS get permission to collect on private land. Otherwise, it gives us a bad reputation.

One way to find out is to find out the township it's in, and go to the township office and ask. They will be able to tell you who owns it. If they dont know, ask neighbors, local police. If still no luck, then use your own judgement, although I would suggest not doing too much digging, as it might already be graded for water runoff. Always try to find out who owns it before entering, Pa law says without permission, posted or not, it's trespassing. Being that your a young-in, they might try to charge you with vandelism. Just be carefull! What town is that near anyway?

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....