Manticocerasman

My Own Blog (Mostly Fossils From Belgium And France)

Manticocerasman

Hello everybody,

I just posted my first topic on the introduction section today.

And I’d like to share my website on this forum.

Feel free to comment and correct or discuss determinations of my fossils, any feedback is welcome.

Enjoy:

https://fossilcollection.wordpress.com/

Kevin

Seaforth

Nice!

I find many Tournaisian trilobite fragments near Amsterdam that originate from Belgium.

In rocks imported from Belgian quarries to re inforce the canal banks :)

Greetings from Noorderbuur :)

Pat

Ludwigia

Thanks for the link. Nice variety. Looks like you're interested in just about anything like myself. Welcome to the forum. I think your "Trigonia" is also a Myophorella and that "Turritella terebellata" is false, or did you inadvertently post the wrong photo?

Edited by Ludwigia

fossilized6s

Very nice simple yet satisfying website! Cool finds! Your Trilo preservation is quite nice over there.

PaleoWilliam

Nice website!

Manticocerasman

Thank you for all the positive reactions.

Make sure to visit the site next week, I have a field trip planned for this weekend. So there will be new pictures and updates.

Greetz,

Kevin

jpc

Nice blog. I like that Europeans often include photos of dinner and/or beer in their fossil tales.

ZiggieCie

A very nice blog site, and you take very good photos. :goodjob:

Mike Pocock

Nice web site and some very good finds, thanks for the link.

Regards

Mike

Wrangellian

Some rich sites over there! I am jealous, I have no access to good Paleozoic sites like that, and even my Mesozoic sites are not so rich or easy to collect.

nils

Nice devonian fossils (and tasty beers,too )

Thank you for sharing this link

Cheers,

Nils

Fossildude19

Cool blog, Kevin!

Thanks for posting the link here.

Nice dino prints!

Regards,

Canadawest

Nice blog. I like that Europeans often include photos of dinner and/or beer in their fossil tales.

Really well presented blog. I always like seeing Devonian/Carboniferous fossils similar to our local sites. It's especially interesting to see the number of Carboniferous trilobites. I rarely find them here. They are not uncommon as much as they are often lost amid the other fossils on a hash plate...it's like 'find Waldo'.

Re dinner and beer. Ha! If only! Often hours of hiking and driving to even get a cup of coffee . Usually I bring a thermos and sandwich. However, when my girlfriend comes she brings a special meal for us to dine on...wine, cheeses, etc. If some grizzly then dines on us we want him to find us tasty.

Manticocerasman

THX everyone for all the kind words. :blush:

Make sure to check out the blog next week, I have a very nice field trip planned for Sunday, although the weather predictions aren’t really good.

As for the carboniferous trilobites, the pygydiums are fairly common, but the complete ones are realy hard to find.

Greetings from Belgium,

Kevin

Wrangellian

I want to also add that I'm envious of your ability to have such a nice fossil fair... Nothing like that over here. The one that I have experienced, there is no trading or buying/selling (that's anti-science), no prepping or tools/supplies available, and no beer or even coffee! Just displays and identification (and a sandbox for the kids).

Manticocerasman

I want to also add that I'm envious of your ability to have such a nice fossil fair... Nothing like that over here. The one that I have experienced, there is no trading or buying/selling (that's anti-science), no prepping or tools/supplies available, and no beer or even coffee! Just displays and identification (and a sandbox for the kids).

That’s strange, fossil fairs are relatively frequent here. Most of the local geology clubs organize them. In 2015 there where 15 of those in Belgium and you don’t have to go far to cross the border to France, Germany and the Netherlands where you can find a lot more of them.

Most of the local fossil fairs are relatively small but very familial and congenial and you often meet the same people to chat and trade.

My daughter loves them also, she is 7 years now and every time we visit them she gets some free fossils and documentation, and some of them have their own kids corner with animation:

bo4.jpg

bo2.jpg

bo1.jpg

11998814_10207282438876896_8797883161448

11947570_10207282440876946_7193258063094

10393831_10207282441116952_7758731016647

Wrangellian

That is nice to see..

The fairs around here are also small and you tend to see the same people all the time and see what they've been finding, etc, but they are organized by the BC Paleo Alliance of societies who have strict standards against commercialization/etc. None of them seem to see any point in the collector side of it, it's all to support science and donating stuff to museums to that end. That's all well and good but I don't see how it encourages the casual collector and people like you and me who like to trade and have a little fun, but it's all very stiff, and I got chewed out royally by one member when I let on that I was more in the latter category of fossiler.

The general rockhound events around here are more like your fossil fairs, with all of these features, and you might see some fossils but is mostly rocks/minerals/lapidary.

I have not been to either lately (that 'chewing out' affair was the last time) but this has been my experience, and I doubt any of this has changed.

Edited by Wrangellian

nils

Well, here in Germany there is the forthcoming the law on the "Protection of Cultural Heritage". I don´t know, how this law will affect paleontology in general (especially fossil-collecting or trading), but I got a bad feeling with it.
Maybe this will be the end of fossil fairs in Germany. We will see ....

Wrangellian

They will become like our fairs, just show and tell.

The BCPA has influenced the making of regulations around fossil collecting in this province, which used to be covered under Mines act but that wasn't strict enough for them. I don't think it has stopped anybody from fossil hunting, but who knows?... I understand the motivation behind these regulations, which is to ensure that important fossils end up in museums for science to one day access, but I can't see every fossil ever found being accepted by the museum(s), and what happens with those that don't? I guess it depends on how strictly thew law/regulation is enforced. A bigger problem is that sites are being closed off to private collectors, but that's another topic that has been done to death..

bookishgeologist

I like your blog!!! Putting it on my feed reader to watch for updates. ^_^