Fossils Or Machine Made Grooves ?

hydroweaver

Hello !

Thank you for having a site out there for wanderers like us :).
Can you identify these consecutive grooving patterns ? Are these fossils or just my imagination ?
I've posted these pictures online on google+ here :
The four "fossils" (Excuse the hair ;-p)
IMG-20150209-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20150209-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20150209-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20150209-WA0006.jpg
And if it helps, I found them here at the banks of Ramganga river in India (Jim Corbett Park), here :
It would be amazing to know the truth at least.

I'm not 100% sure, but these could be feeding traces or tracks (ichnofossil). I'm sorry i can't help more.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

If you search Echinoderm trace fossil there are pictures that look similar.

I just worry about the veining in your rocks. Usually metamorphic and igneous rocks will not house fossils.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I may be way off but it also looks like snails scraping the mildew from the outside of the stones. The stones are metamorphic so intact fossil remains wouldn't be found.

I may be way off but it also looks like snails scraping the mildew from the outside of the stones. The stones are metamorphic so intact fossil remains wouldn't be found.

My thought exactly :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Could you give us a measurement across the traces for scale? Does anyone know the geology of the site?

These were found on giant rocks, I dont have a scale, however, each of these were atleast an index finger in length, if that helps.

Here's a quick test, I would take a scrub brush to them. If they wipe clean they're obviously not fossils.

~Charlie~

they were definitely engraved, these were huge stones on the river bank, you cant wipe them off, thousands of years of river flowing didn't do that ! ^_^

I think he's referring to the bleach removing algae

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Gastropods can etch hard rock in the process of feeding; their radula is amazing.

A large excavator is even more effective though. Could this be machine placed rip rap ?

It is a classic snail feeding track:

snailmarks.jpg

What does Clorox do to a non-fossil?

I am suggesting that this non fossil is mildew, which clorox will remove along with the pattern. I don't believe that the pattern is etched into the structure of a metamorphic rock. It's location near a body of water supports both the snail and the mildew supposition.

It is a classic snail feeding track:

snailmarks.jpg

Maybe so, but it's also the shape left by hardened steel chattering across a rock. Given the title of the post I think context is important.

I am suggesting that this non fossil is mildew, which clorox will remove along with the pattern. I don't believe that the pattern is etched into the structure of a metamorphic rock. It's location near a body of water supports both the snail and the mildew supposition.

dont know much about the snails and all, but here's a look at the river bank where these huge rocks lie, might give you an idea...(all from google, the resort where I stayed...https://www.google.co.in/search?q=ramganga+resort+jim+corbett&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=V_XgVMLfNIG_uASl04JA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=671#imgdii=_&imgrc=BsDa2W9OSB_6SM%253A%3BVPz_hUhTGvf43M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia-cdn.tripadvisor.com%252Fmedia%252Fphoto-s%252F05%252Fa1%252F0a%252F24%252Fcorbett-ramganga-resort.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tripadvisor.in%252FLocationPhotoDirectLink-g1152784-d303026-i94439972-WelcomHeritage_Corbett_Ramganga_Resort-Jim_Corbett_National_Park_Uttarakh.html%3B550%3B412)

ramganga-resort-corbett-national-park-03

corbett-ramganga-resort.jpg

corbett-ramganga-resort.jpg

Can you re-post this picture ? It's not pointing to anything now

It looks fine from here; how 'bout now?

post-423-0-39023400-1424035297_thumb.jpg

Archived