Ammonite Recreation

fossilized6s

I figured this may appeal to a wider variety of people (it doesn't look so scary).

I made this guy up, so he may not be anatomically correct, but that's part of the fun! I also decided to give him some primitive "feelers", no suction cups yet. He's a cross between Nautilus and Octopus.

This will also go up for auction to help the forum on Monday. I hope you guys like it. I figured all of the Ammonite hunters would want this to hang by their finds.

Here's a dollar to show some scale

post-14584-0-51103800-1423959845_thumb.jpg

So call me crazy, but i wasn't satisfied with this guy. So i did some touch up. I think making the hard shell bits completely separate in texture then the body was the right move.

post-14584-0-22029100-1423987627_thumb.jpg

What do you guys think? I enjoy constructive criticism.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That is awesome. Can you provide some scale, so we know how big it is?

Oh, I'll start the bid at $20

Ramo

Edit : Just saw this doesn't go up until Monday. I guess I'll retract my bid until then!!

Edited by Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Another beauty! Does the dollar come with it? ;)

Thank you! No, no funding comes with it. Haha

That a lovely drawing, I can't wait to see what else you draw!

Thank you!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Your on a role! Cool drawing ;)

Thanks you sir!

It seems as though more people enjoy my creepy Mosasaur then this guy. Back to the drawing board, literally. Haha

~Charlie~

It seems as though more people enjoy my creepy Mosasaur then this guy. Back to the drawing board, literally. Haha

Really?!?! This things amazing. I'd love to see you sketch a trilobite! Yes they're my favorite...lol

...I'm back.

Really?!?! This things amazing. I'd love to see you sketch a trilobite! Yes they're my favorite...lol

Thanks Paul! This sketch was more difficult, as i didn't have anything to reference. So everything just came out of my head. Getting the angles and shadows right in the shell was crazy! .....and some angles still aren't right....ugh. haha

I was thinking about doing one next. It would be nice to do a really cool one closeup that shows the texture of the eyes.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

You have such a wonderful eye for perspective and proportion and your technical ability is outstanding. I've always wished for a talent like yours. You did make me go out and buy some drawing pencils yesterday. I can't imagine that I could ever draw as well as you do but I'll have fun with my doodles anyway. Thanks for sharing your awesome talent with the forum.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

You have such a wonderful eye for perspective and proportion and your technical ability is outstanding. I've always wished for a talent like yours. You did make me go out and buy some drawing pencils yesterday. I can't imagine that I could ever draw as well as you do but I'll have fun with my doodles anyway. Thanks for sharing your awesome talent with the forum.

I truly appreciate your kind words! And I'm glad i inspired you to take up the pencil once more.

I love working in black and white, partially because I'm severely color blind. Eek! But i couldn't even count the amount of hours, days, weeks or even years I've collectively practiced. People think you're born with talent, but most of it comes with hard work and practice, practice, practice.

I should add that I'm no where near the skill level where i want to be. And i am a student of light and textures daily.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~