Donating My Lower Jurassic Dinosaur To A Museum

Hi all

I posted a thread about a Lower Jurassic Dinosaur that me and my brother found last year. The link is here:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44778-have-we-found-a-lower-jurassic-dinosaur/

Well we are one step closer and the time has come to take it to the Museum. It's all packed up and ready to go as you can see from the pictures below:

post-11234-0-60814100-1424293019_thumb.jpg

Initially the dinosaur will be on loan, with plans to complete the donation and transfer of title later in the year along with the publication of a paper.

I feel quite emotional to be handing it over but I feel it belongs in a public museum rather than a private collection. Please note that I am 100% supportive of private collections as I've got one myself but due to its rarity, this felt too big a responsibility to keep in my house.

I promise that further pictures will follow later in the year

Regards

Nick

• I found this Informative 2

A truly momentous find, and the date of sweet parting draws nigh; well done!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Kudos to you, sir!

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Good move. It's nice to see experiences like this on the forum!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Well done Nick! Congratulations once more, and thank you!

I totally agree with you. How would you even insure something that is priceless? Haha

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

It's been very interesting following developments, Nick. Your joint venture with the museum is highly exemplary for the collaboration between amateurs and professionals. Well done at both ends.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hooray for you. This is a great find, and it sounds like it is getting a new happy home. And please keep us posted, even if it takes years to publish it.

Congratulations, Nick! And well done!

I know it must be difficult to let it go, but in the end, it is something that should be enjoyed by all.

I applaud your stewardship of this fossil.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's your fossil to decide about as you choose; but I like the course of your thinking on this one. The research will provide you with information about your find that you might not have ever had the chance to learn. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

And into the Museum it goes:

Front of Museum

post-11234-0-51553000-1424558981_thumb.jpg

The Museum is overlooked by another Welsh Dragon atop of City Hall

post-11234-0-59882800-1424559016_thumb.jpg

Down in the storage rooms

post-11234-0-29130100-1424559096_thumb.jpg

Placed onto storage shelf

post-11234-0-91069800-1424559130_thumb.jpg

Next step is to repack into proper storage boxes rather than my banana boxes and then look to X-Ray a couple of the blocks

Nick

Awesome!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Bravo bravo bravo!!! This is the kind of story we all need to laud and spread so both "sides" can forever benefit from our significantly overlapping passions!

Edited by Carl

Congratulations, and thanks for recognizing the importance of this specimen, all the work you put into it, and then selflessly making it available for all to learn from by donating it. Moving from discovery to publication so quickly is really remarkable, though I know it has seemed slow to you at times, and is a testament to the significance of the find. I hope you will let us all know when the paper is published.

Don

I can't wait to see the paper on it!

Well done to you and your brother.

Thanks guys

Focus is on 9th June. Watch this space. You heard it here first.

Nick

Thanks Sseth and Aplomado

Cladistics have been re-run. I've also just received a shadow outline with bones filled in and a person for scale. The exhibition is coming along and we've contracted someone to do a paleo-reconstruction.

I'm beginning to feel like an amateur Palaeontologist. Now I'm dangerous!

Nick

...I'm beginning to feel like an amateur Palaeontologist...

The phrase is Avocational Paleontologist, and you are assuredly one!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can't remember if you already told us Nick but this would have to be one of the most complete theropods discovered in the U.K. right?

No not the most complete. I'm not sure how youd calculate.

There's maybe as much as eotyrrannus?

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi yall

Two months to go until the exhibition opens.

We are now on draft 2 of the fleshed out artist's reconstruction. It's fascinating watching it come together and see how it's built up from a pencil sketch based on bone measurements. It's really starting to come to life.

Nick

Thanks for the update Nick. Can't wait to meet it.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG