South Dakota

BigGuy

This specimen was found embedded in Dakota Sandstone in western South Dakota is late Cretaceous . There are similar specimens in the area.

I am at a lost to what it is. I have a few ideas, but I want to hear from others.

Thank you.

.post-17624-0-18987200-1424356092_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Big guy show pic of "underside" ends, pls, tnks. Dental plate? Gastropod? Any evidence of either? Perhaps the first evidence ever of a unicorn molt ? What other fossils do you find at site? :popcorn: John

Edited by dragonsfly
  • I found this Informative 1

Coprolite?

Do you have images of the similar specimens from that site?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hopefully MarcoSr can chime-in on this one.

I'm seeing a beautiful and perfect example Shark Coprolite.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I think shark coprolite as well, although it is quite perfect. The Dakota has shark teeth, so poop would be not out of the question.

I should introduce myself. I am a retired mining engineer with a degree in Chemical Engineering. My primary interest is mineralogy. However, in my travels I have come upon many fossils sites and began to collect fossils. This fossil was collected by a prospector of Fairburn Agates of Western South Dakota. I will call him about other fossils from the Dakota Formation. He tells me at the same site is there are other fossils of the same type. One specimen is very close to the first. Thank you very much

Looks too perfect for a coprolite. The groves are too deep as well.

After looking at John's link, I'd have to say we've got another one. Another one of what? I have no idea, but that link has a very similar looking thing, and it also has a link to another that looks just like this! That makes 3 of these things!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I think erosion may put a "twist" in this mystery. Let's say we're in the Cretaceous period and this "shark" had a "movement". This poop would have been rolled around on the sea floor, releasing the "softer parts", while the harder more "compressed parts" (due to a shark's digestive system) are left behind to become fossilized millions of years later.

Sorry for the run-on. Make sense?

I believe most shark coprolites would look like this if they eroded just right. Most that are found keep their "outer", "soft" layer.

Carl's posts from his Scottish coast coprolites show very compressed spiraled cross section. I'll try and find a link.... http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/50539-carboniferous-coprolite-concretions/#entry543302

But really, a quick look under a scope could shed some light on this.

I must add that this is just my opinions, and im far from expert.

Edit: link added

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Unextruded gut content?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I really don't think it's coprolite. I've picked up a butt-load (pun was intended) of coprolites in the Cretaceous of Kansas, and I've seen plenty others. I have never seen anything that looks anything like this, other that in that link John posted. Can one of you computer savy people take a picture form there, and from that other link, and put them beside a picture of this thing? These all look very similar.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I really don't think it's coprolite. I've picked up a butt-load (pun was intended) of coprolites in the Cretaceous of Kansas, and I've seen plenty others. I have never seen anything that looks anything like this, other that in that link John posted. Can one of you computer savy people take a picture form there, and from that other link, and put them beside a picture of this thing? These all look very similar.

Ramo

Yep; the example above is very similar to THIS one.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for the links John. Now we can say that in every example there are six points spiraling outward.

~Charlie~

I was immediately thinking of the other thread that JohnJ posted. And Ramo is spot on: I seriously doubt coprolite or gut contents but it has to be related to those other things.

Ok, here's a "far fetched" but plausible theory.

Modern day caterpillars have similar six pointed poop. Maybe this is a undescribed Sea Cucumber or a similar marine invertebrate's poop.

post-14584-0-68975700-1424370386_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

From the Texas article:

The spiral specimens have a pronounced external spiral that coils to the end; isopolar and amphipolar. The spiral coprolites are indicative of marine taxa; shark and fish. Spiral coprolites are typically associated with the shark Hybodus. At the Arlington Archosaur Site, both Hybodont and Cretodus teeth and spines are present and interpreted as the source. The large (20x30 cm) ovoid coprolites are indicative of dinosaur. Most of the specimens recovered are preserved intact, not flattened, undeformed and retain the original shape. This is indicative of rapid burial in a low energy environment, immediately after defecation.

I contacted the authors and sent them pictures. The Cretaceous is the period of their research. Of course if it is shark coprolite is was extremely well preserved and could span a very long time. . He is a link to their onging research. I might volunteer to help in the dig.

http://arlingtonarchosaursite.com/

very cool whatever it is.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I contacted the authors and sent them pictures. The Cretaceous is the period of their research. Of course if it is shark coprolite is was extremely well preserved and could span a very long time. . He is a link to their onging research. I might volunteer to help in the dig.

http://arlingtonarchosaursite.com/

Picture # 52 in the Gallery at the website looks similar to your item, though not nearly as complete.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Picture # 52 in the Gallery at the website looks similar to your item, though not nearly as complete.

Regards,

I think that photo shows a lungfish tooth.

• I found this Informative 2

I think that photo shows a lungfish tooth.

Doh! Good catch, Carl! :blush:

Was on my tablet, and couldn't blow up the picture enough. Looked similar on there.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me