Id Of 3 Fossils-Cretaceous

Trevor

Sorry the last thing is a rock that I presumed to be some artifact. All of the fossils are from Big Brook NJ, and I do not know the formations there, maybe Navesink.

: )

Yes soon, I am not home right now and do not have access to the camera. I thought the second one was a hadrosaur tooth, and I thought the first one was piece of a crab.

: )

The third photo appears to be a flake of black chert, most likely the by-product of stone tool manufacture. I can't tell the size of the flake. Sometimes larger flakes were used as informal cutting tools due to their very sharp edges, or were reworked to form burins, gravers, scrapers, etc. I think it is a waste flake at the least.

• I found this Informative 1

The first one,looks to me a piece of a crab.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for the better pics. I think Al Dente amazingly nailed the deer piece.

Post #10 sure is crabby.

Still can't make out that 3rd piece.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I think Al Dente amazingly nailed the deer piece.

Post#10 sure is crabby.

Post #11 is a broken piece of chert

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 3 years later...

I agree with the artifact and deer tooth IDs. The crab claw is not the usual ghost shrimp one and is rare. I think it is a Necrocarcinus sp.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

If you can make it to the brooks anytime soon, please bring along that 'deer tooth'  and crab claw. I'd really like to look at those in hand.

I'm always happy to 'eat crow' and learn more but that's a Hadrosaur tooth. As you would expect, I'm more interested in the crab claw :)

6 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

If you can make it to the brooks anytime soon, please bring along that 'deer tooth'  and crab claw. I'd really like to look at those in hand.

I'm always happy to 'eat crow' and learn more but that's a Hadrosaur tooth. As you would expect, I'm more interested in the crab claw :)

It doesn't look like a hadrosaur tooth to me. It is a modern deer tooth.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal