Raptor?

Angryraptor78

Fossilera wasn't sure what kind of dinosaur tooth this was. They suggested possibly a large raptor. It is about an inch and a half, much larger than my velociraptor tooth. It is from Morocco.

post-16532-0-50905600-1424620356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Angryraptor78

I think deltadromeus is the only theropod of this size described from morocco, but that doesn't mean it is the only one. There are others on this forum who follow Moroccan Dinos more actively.

Yeah, as soon as I get back this Thursday to NY I will take several more pics. Stranded from fossils in Kansas for four more days.

Great, trying to get a good look at the serrations. There are a number of theropod that it could be from. Having said that very few dinosaurs have been described from that area. Deltadromeus is one that has been described however there was no skull with the holotype so we do not know what the teeth look like.

Kansas? If I were you I'd spend the next 4 days in the Chalk. Search the forum you may be surprised.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

There's been very little dinosaur material described out of the Tegana Formation in large part due to the extreme rarity of associated bones. The only theropod teeth you can assign with any reasonable accuracy is Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus, which that tooth clearly isn't. As another poster mentioned, Deltadromeus was described without associated teeth. There's probably a dozen or more undescribed Theropods from there.

What I can say is out of probably over 1,000 Tegana theropod teeth that's passed through my hands in the last year, that one stood out as being fairly unique.

Oh cool, olenoides. Now I am very curious what It looked like. I wonder why so few skeletons are found there but so many teeth.

I'd love to go to the chalk but since I live in NYC I don't have a car and just visiting parents. It is about 8 hours away. I am going to get out there some day though.

Fossilera wasn't sure what kind of dinosaur tooth this was. They suggested possibly a large raptor. It is about an inch and a half, much larger than my velociraptor tooth. It is from Morocco.

I have to ask... Velociraptor tooth?

Yep, I have 2 unidentified raptor teeth from Morocco and one possible Rugops. The one here is either of a large raptor or medium theropod. It definitely is real and unique. I love it. My only fossil I am not confident about is Rugops. The coloration varies, slight purple, definite restoration, but that doesn't disprove or prove anything. It could be different mineralization. I need an expert for that.

I think Down under fossil hunter answered your Rugops question in one of your other post and I agree with him 100%.

Yep, I have 2 unidentified raptor teeth from Morocco and one possible Rugops. The one here is either of a large raptor or medium theropod. It definitely is real and unique. I love it. My only fossil I am not confident about is Rugops. The coloration varies, slight purple, definite restoration, but that doesn't disprove or prove anything. It could be different mineralization. I need an expert for that.

Not quite sure I understand?

Velociraptor is known from the Djadochta formation in the Gobi desert of Mongolia.

There are numerous other small theropods (some formally identified, others not) that have been found in the same formation that in all likelihood had very similar teeth.

Fossil material from this location is very rare and I personally have only ever seen 1 'probable' example for sale.

If you ask a kid what is their favourite dinosaur, a close second after T-rex is usually Velociraptor and it is because of this popularity that unscrupulous dealers will assign any and all small theropod teeth to this genus.

So unfortunately it is extremely likely that both your Velociraptor and Rugops teeth (if from Morocco) are not from either genus.

Sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear but it is the truth.

Not quite sure I understand?

Velociraptor is known from the Djadochta formation in the Gobi desert of Mongolia.

There are numerous other small theropods (some formally identified, others not) that have been found in the same formation that in all likelihood had very similar teeth.

Fossil material from this location is very rare and I personally have only ever seen 1 'probable' example for sale.

If you ask a kid what is their favourite dinosaur, a close second after T-rex is usually Velociraptor and it is because of this popularity that unscrupulous dealers will assign any and all small theropod teeth to this genus.

So unfortunately it is extremely likely that both your Velociraptor and Rugops teeth (if from Morocco) are not from either genus.

Sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear but it is the truth.

I would like to second this as i fell into the same trap too when i first began collecting 8 years ago.

Found a tooth for sale labelled as a Velociraptor mongoliensis tooth from the Gobi Desert in Mongolia and bought it for only $30. However it is almost certain now that it is just an unidentified tooth from Morocco that was mislabeled. Lesson learned.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Correction: fossils from the Djadochta Fm in Mongolia are ridiculously abundant. Djadochta fossils for sale are very rare as Mongolia does not allow export of fossils, and actually cares about this law. Also, know that Velociraptor teeth are really quite small... About a quarter inch long. Edited by jpc

Correction: fossils from the Djadochta Fm in Mongolia are ridiculously abundant. Djadochta fossils for sale are very rare as Mongolia does not allow export of fossils, and actually cares about this law. Also, know that Velociraptor teeth are really quite small... About a quarter inch long.

Thanks for the Correction? Jpc, it was implied that they are rare in a commercial sense as the member is talking about Mongolian teeth he has purchased not planning an expedition to the Djadochta formation.

If I were to tell a neophyte fossil collector that Jurassic dino material is rare, you could successfully argue that the Morrison formation material is actually very fossiliferous however that does not mean that they would easily find these specimens available for purchase.

however I understand your perspective and you are correct that I should have been more specific in my answer, apologies for any confusion caused.

There is a huge difference between 'rare' and 'rarely seen in the commercial market'. Your Morrison example is a good one. I collect in the Morrison, and indeed, Dino bones are abundant, but you rarely see them for sale. Best to keep things clear.

Not trying to go off topic or anything, but why are so few Morrison fossils for sale when they are abundant? Or for that matter, any other fossil from certain formations?

BTW, I have no idea what your theropod tooth could be, but it is quite nice.

...why are so few Morrison fossils for sale when they are abundant?...

Collecting vertebrate fossils from U.S. Government lands without a scientific permit is forbidden, and most of the land where the Morrison is exposed is such.

This has a decidedly chilling effect on the commercial market...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Also, Morrison bones tend be extremely time consuming to prep. So not profitable. There are certainly some Morrison sites that could be commercialized, but much of the Morrison Fm is indeed on public land ( see auspex's reply)