Megalodon, Real Looking Or Not, I Ask Because Of The Base/gum Area

Angryraptor78

My landlord asked me if I wanted a fossil cabinent for forty bucks when he was cleaning out his garage/office of junk. The fosssil cabinet had cobwebs on it and was dirty and looked like it had been sitting there for a very long time but I was happy to since I could clean it up. I was excited to find random fossils in it mostly different types of rock, an old fish that was shattered, (arsenic, which I didn't realize until much later). There was also a megalodon tooth in it. It has one major difference from my other megalodon teeth that I know are real in that the base of it is a longer stretch of rock and oddly shaped, but at the same time it feels real. From the pic do you think it is real? I can't see why permineralization couldn't lead to this unusual shape but I could be for some reason wrong. I think it is real but I am not as 100% confident like I am with the other two.

post-16532-0-00420500-1424621345_thumb.jpg

Looks real to me. The section you are calling rock I believe is just could be a weathered root of the tooth. Cash you take a picture of the other side. Hard to see in through the glass.

Edited by Troodon

Yeah when I get back to NYC I will. I won't leave till Thursday so I am without my fossils for a week. I think you are right though.

Real, fer sure.

Possibly even a Cuban tooth; it has the look (and kind of excavation damage) that is pretty typical of Megs from the mines there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!