Planning A Penn Dixie Trip, How Do I Store And Prep Trilobites?

TMadam

I am planning a second trip to Penndixie, first one was over 10 years ago. On my first trip I did a poor job of storing the specimens for the ride home and so several got broken (I forgot these are old as antiques). How do you store materials you find on site? I was thinking giant Tupperware container with rows of bubble wrap. I read about using Elmers glue as a stabilizer, should I buy paleobond or a stabilizing compound? My goal is to take my three sons, dig around in the dirt, and find something for the kids to put in a shadow box.

Thank you,

Adam

Hi TMadam,

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. The collecting friends I know, like the "wrap them in Aluminum foil" method. It does a few things to help. 1- it holds the pieces together. 2- it cushions the rock. 3- it allows the shale to dry SLOOOOWLY. 4- it keeps pieces from intermingling. All these things are important for stable and easier to curate specimens. Happy Hunting! Have fun collecting at Penn-Dixie.

-John

Just a tad older than antiques...lol Have a wonderful time with the kids and don't forget to post pictures of the hunt!!

Paul

...I'm back.

I go there fairly frequently and at that location I use the tin foil wrap method and just place them in a large paint bucket. I do take a bottle of thin cyano acrylate glue and a dilute solution of polyvinylacetate and will use them to stabilize in the field. I general only take home complete specimens and give the rest away to the younger kids that are always there

I wrapped mine in foil and newspaper. In fact you remind me I should do something with that stuff as it is all still sitting in boxes.