The New Bothrodendron Site

RomanK

Very nice pieces Roman.

I'm glad to hear you're ok .

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great finds Romank!perhaps could you tell me if i have found lepidodendron or Walchia or Bothrodendron stems?post-2325-0-91279900-1424701510_thumb.jpg

Edited by nala

Great finds Romank!perhaps could you tell me if i have found lepidodendron or Walchia or Bothrodendron stems?attachicon.gifIMG_5148.JPG

Thanks Gery!

It's not look like a Bothrodendron or Lepidodendron leafy branches. For Bothrodendron the shoot with attached leaves is too thick for me. Walchia is possible case but I haven't any to compare.

Great finds and photos, Roman! :)

Congratulations on finding these.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you Tim!

attachicon.gifbranch.jpg

Hey Roman, glad to see your latest finds and from another location. Very nice...So its looks like you have an even more keen eye now for Bothrodendron than before and you find them easier now---is that right? I'm guessing that you are going to find some at other sites as well.

Those sure look like some very tiny leaf scars .....

Regards, Chris

Congratulations, Roman! A third locality. Nice. Is there any geological/geographical correlation between the sites? For example, do the spoil tips belong to mines that were working the same coal seam? Or are we talking different stratigraphy, or formations, units, etc.?

Searching for green in the dark grey.

These mines are very deep, and the sites could be tailings from a particular stratum wherein environmental conditions at the time could have favored this flora.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These mines are very deep, and the sites could be tailings from a particular stratum wherein environmental conditions at the time could have favored this flora.

That is why I asked whether there are relations between the spoil tips where Bothrodendron has been found. This may help trace the origin back to a particular roof shale, which is sampled by the different mines supplying rock to the three dumps.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Now, if we just had an idea of what environmental conditions favored Bothrodendron, we could work on the paleoecology :)

Probably safe to think that sea level transgression/regression events played a large role there, as they did with most of the world's Carboniferous coal deposits. Dryer? Wetter? Saline sensitivity/resistance? Looking for closely associated (same slab) flora and fauna might yield insight.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great finds, Roman. Congratulations. As usual you raise the bar for Carboniferous plant finds. Thanks for posting.

Hey Roman, glad to see your latest finds and from another location. Very nice...So its looks like you have an even more keen eye now for Bothrodendron than before and you find them easier now---is that right? I'm guessing that you are going to find some at other sites as well.

Those sure look like some very tiny leaf scars .....

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris! Yes you're right my eye become sharper :) as for the Bothrodendron. To find one you have to look for the "shagreen" bark surface or very small leaf scars on it.

That is why I asked whether there are relations between the spoil tips where Bothrodendron has been found. This may help trace the origin back to a particular roof shale, which is sampled by the different mines supplying rock to the three dumps.

Now, if we just had an idea of what environmental conditions favored Bothrodendron, we could work on the paleoecology :)

Probably safe to think that sea level transgression/regression events played a large role there, as they did with most of the world's Carboniferous coal deposits. Dryer? Wetter? Saline sensitivity/resistance? Looking for closely associated (same slab) flora and fauna might yield insight.

Thank you for the interesting discussion Tim and Auspex! As I recognized the first (main) and third sites are from the coal seam h1. Bashkirian or Middle Pennsylvanian (sediment layers from H1 up to I1 limestone index). I will specify the coal index for the second site. But you are right that Bothrodendron specimens are from the same seam. I have no precision data about transgression/regression at that particular time but know there was reg/transgr. changing event every 1 mln. years here.

post-814-0-28997600-1425114016_thumb.jpg

post-814-0-21230300-1425114019_thumb.jpg

Edited by RomanK
  • I found this Informative 2