Calvert Cliffs Bone (Small Fish/bird?) And Shell/claw

shajzer64

I found a complete bone on a trip to Calvert. It's definitely fossilized and I'm guessing fish or bird based on the size. Any idea what it could be?

The other piece isn't as exciting, but I was wondering if it was the end of a shell or a crab claw. I'm not too familiar with the fossils in the area, so any help would be much appreciated.

post-17656-0-49748200-1424810677_thumb.jpg

post-17656-0-51160500-1424810756_thumb.jpg

post-17656-0-20812000-1424811123_thumb.jpg

If bone is hollow , it is probably bird . the other is definitely crab claw. Bird bone is a rare find, crab claw is fairly common. Cool finds.

Cool, thanks! Looks like it's hollow. The small hole at the top of the second picture leads to a hollow portion, though I can't tell if the whole bone is like that.

It appears to be an avian pedal phalanx; beyond that is beyond me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry to disagree but it looks like a crab pincer.

This is the tip of a crab claw:IMG_11921 - Copy.JPG

This is a bird's toe bone:IMG_1187.JPG

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yup, thanks for clarifying, Auspex. I've been looking at other finds, another user has a large collection of bird bones.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F33422-calvert-bird-bone-collection%2F

It looks kind of like the 4th and 5th in the 3rd row, but overall it seems smoother and possessing less outcroppings than the average bone, although that may just be characteristic of toe bones. Also, I'm guessing it's a decent sized bird, although it being bigger than my toe bone might not be the best comparison.