Help Identifying Strange Fossil

fossil guy

Found this strange fossil in a creek in south central missouri. Itsabout 2 feet wide and is a piece of a much larger piece that is the bed rock of the creek. I have no idea as to what it is

post-17682-0-81646300-1424832349_thumb.jpg

I agree that it does not look like a fossil to me. Look geological or possibly man made.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

I see nothing resembling Lepidodendron. Bear in mind that the specimen is 2 feet wide, so the individual square-shaped structures (which I assume Tethys is confusing with Lepidodendron leaf scars) would be at least six inches across. Lepidodendron leaf scars are not more than 1/3 to 1/2 inch, are quite regular in arrangement, and have a very different shape and structure.

I do not think the specimen is a fossil. Possibly it may be mud cracks or the impressions of large halite (salt) crystals preserved in sediment deposited on a tidal flat or lagoon type environment, but I'm not very sure about that. However, it lacks the regular/symmetrical structure one would expect if it had a biological origin.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

The main piece is about 25 feet by 15 feet. All of it is very unsymmetrical. If i can get more pictures of it i will post them, but do to high water level.

I see nothing resembling Lepidodendron. Bear in mind that the specimen is 2 feet wide, so the individual square-shaped structures (which I assume Tethys is confusing with Lepidodendron leaf scars) would be at least six inches across. Lepidodendron leaf scars are not more than 1/3 to 1/2 inch, are quite regular in arrangement, and have a very different shape and structure.

Don

Excellent point. Illustrating yet again why scale* is so important in attempting to ID from photographs. I have seen lepidodendrons with scale scars larger than 1/2 inch, but it is from France and does not resemble the above rock slab. It does look like mudstone, with signs of soft sediment deformation. Those must have been some impressive halite crystals. *I can't resist a pun.

Edited by Tethys