Another Fascinating Week With The Whiteside Museum Of Natural History!

Well... It was another exciting week at the Whiteside Museum! We have been busy, busy, busy! Work on our Eryops jacket "Fred" is underway right smack dab in the middle of the museum for everyone to see. So exciting!

post-5721-0-20071600-1424924360_thumb.jpg

There have been close to 100 Eryops teeth that we have pulled from the Eryops site. Each one has to be cleaned, numbered, and added to collections.

post-5721-0-10232600-1424925358_thumb.jpg

We have been steady digging on our Dimetrodon Mary! The bone count is stellar! More than a dozen complete fin spines, C3 cervical, left and right hips, radius, fibula, left clavicle, three caudals, sacral rib, more than a dozen complete main torso ribs, left and right maxilla, left mandible, and as of this afternoon our director Chris Flis found Mary's beautiful tibia!

post-5721-0-61553100-1424925615_thumb.jpg

post-5721-0-29075000-1424920773_thumb.jpg

Many patient hours are being spent on our Mary... Because the bone is so fragile most of Mary is having to be left in place and will be brought back to the museum in one GIANT jacket. However, there have been a few smaller jackets that we have been able to safely remove and bring back to the lab for prep. The bone is absolutely gorgeous!

post-5721-0-31642300-1424924984_thumb.jpg

Some crazy weather rolled in this week at the museum. Nothing like a snow day this past Monday to help us get caught up a bit on prep work and collections!

post-5721-0-39057000-1424919131_thumb.jpg

I am looking forward to going back next month. I'm so thrilled to be apart of all the incredible research and work that's going on at the Whiteside Museum! Truly fascinating!

Best,

Leigh

Edited by Guest

Thanks for keeping us updated, Leigh. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

There is magic swirling around the Whiteside, and I relish every peek :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!