First Bucket Of Micros

megaholic

On Jan 3rd My wife and I made our last trip to Zolfo Springs looking for fossils. After seeing the posts here from the members that are into the micros, I took a 5 gal bucket along to try my luck. I used a screen in a screen with simple nylon window screen in between. I made little effort to locate the fine gravel in the river, so it was just random luck on what might be there. I finished going through the gravel today. It was more fun that I had expected it to be. We have been having a terrible year of heavy rains during our normal dry season, along with some really cold temps. This bucket turned out to be a great way to "hunt" when I would otherwise not have been able. I was really surprised at what we always discard back into the river through a 1/4 inch screen. My wife found a very clever hobby box with small clear containers that I show below to use for multiple items. I now have new species of shark teeth in my collection, and stingray teeth that I never even knew were there. Please bring along an extra bucket and try this next time you are out. My plan is to keep trying and reporting all the different regions of the rivers I visit, to keep looking for the still elusive Cookie-Cutter teeth...

Many thanks to TFF members Marco Sr, Digit, and JBShark for all the previous encouragement on the subject.

post-5963-0-39880900-1425162903_thumb.jpg

Not even a full bucket to start.

post-5963-0-79139400-1425162916_thumb.jpg

2,241 teeth came out of there! Every one would have gone back in the river, and now I wonder how many screens I went through that day

post-5963-0-51426800-1425162935_thumb.jpg

post-5963-0-09175100-1425163107_thumb.jpg

278 Dasyatis teeth...My first ever!

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Your success with this is stunning! I will watch for new installments :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds!!!!! I collected some gravel from a site in Texas and found some good micro teeth.

Nice haul, megaholic. Micros are so much fun, and just the thing in bad weather...or any time, for those of us unable to hunt fossils locally. You have the exact same collection jars that I use! They are great for this and so inexpensive too. There are some nice peel off labels that are perfect for them as well. I use some permanent labels for my 'special' ones that I print on my computer. They are Avery labels. Ancient Bones gets the peel off ones for me. I'll have to ask where she gets them.

The boxes of jars stack nicely and don't take up much room... just in case you get really carried away by micros. ;) ( I know, because I have stacks of them!)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Awesome! Congrats on the first batch and cool finds! To be able to hunt when the weather doesn't agree or to be able to hunt matrix from other states or even from around the World is awesome! I love it!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Awesome finds Chuck! That's an amazing amount of teeth you found! :fistbump: Next time your in my area I'll put you on the cookie cutters! :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice haul... It is nice to see someone named 'megaholic' come on over to the dark side. Micros are great fun.

Looks productive. I use the same plastic tray and bead jars. I used to be able to buy them at the local hobby store but they quit carrying them. Now I buy them online. Every site I collect has its own tray full of bead jars.

I think I see some Rhynchobatus in you plate of Dasyatis teeth. There are probably some other ray teeth in there too.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have not removed the Rhynchobatus yet, now I am trying to figure out how to break down all these tiny teeth. To try and ID them seems like a monumental task. Sadly, the only ones I am sure of are the Hemipristis serra. They are so cute.

The small one is 3mm, and the big one is 8mm!

post-5963-0-80319800-1425227564_thumb.jpg

Also got my first Nurse shark teeth...

post-5963-0-20023400-1425227560_thumb.jpg

I am sneaking these in here for an ID, but will move out the ID section too, just wanted to see if somebody knows what they are. They are very hard, and average 3mm X 3mm.

post-5963-0-88952400-1425227554_thumb.jpg

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

I am sneaking these in here for an ID, but will move out the ID section too, just wanted to see if somebody knows what they are. They are very hard, and average 3mm X 3mm.

attachicon.gifhemis 001.JPG

They look like internal molds of individual coral polyps.

Thanks A D.

I was guessing they had to be some such item of a coral. They all have a flat bottom, and round up to a point with tiny tube-like structure. Internal molds make perfect sense.

Jeff, I will hold you to that! I have no expectation of finding any Isistius teeth in the Peace system, But, you never know. Last summer I found some deep powder black gravel in the river south of Nocatee. It looked really good for micros, but I was after megs, so I did not stay there for more than a couple screens. On the first screen was a lone giant Hemi, almost two inches tall. That was the only thing there. I need to go back there now with a bucket.

BTW- jpc, I am still not ready to change my name!! Hey wait, is MICROHOLIC still open?? :P

MH

Welcome to the world of micro's. I also have a separate tray (or two or three) of jars for each site I hunt and for matrix I have received through trades from other parts of the U.S. and Europe. It is a very addictive and fun part of our hobby.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

• 3 weeks later...

that is a mess of teeth!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks