Early Bird "fossils"

The fossil market seems to be awash with 'artful constructs', the epitome of which (to me, anyway) are plates purporting to be Confuciousornis (or some such), originating from China. A big red flag here is that the export of fossil birds (and most other vertebrate fossils) from China is strictly forbidden, with harsh penalties. How do they get around the law? Simple; these 'fossils' are not genuine; they are 'artistic representations', against which there is no export ban. That they are presented for sale here as genuine violates no Chinese laws.

Here are images of a genuine Confuciousornis museum specimen, and one of the many spurious examples from which one may pick-and-choose for purchase. I, personally, would choose not.

post-423-0-71642600-1425226435_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-90862200-1425226456_thumb.jpg

Compare the difference in detail; even without any knowledge of Confuciousornis' anatomy, it is easy to see that 'something's wrong' with the second one. The 'bones' lack detail, and are clunky looking. An avian skeleton (even the most ancient ones) is quite gracile and refined: this thing looks like a child's concept of a chicken skeleton. These constructs seem to follow a particular iconography, too; on their backs, spread-eagle, legs akimbo. They are a caricature of a bird skeleton.

I have picked a low-hanging fruit from the orchard of fabricated fossils to exemplify what this new forum is for. I hope that it will encourage others to follow with their own examples of the pitfalls to be avoided in the fossil marketplace. Other things worth exploring are undisclosed repairs and restoration, destructively poor preparation, and all manner of mis-identification. If these archives serve to preempt some soon-to-be-rued purchases by inexperienced collectors, we will have accomplished our goals.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, terrible bird fossils from China are all over Ebay these days. As clever of artisans as they are, fossils are apparently not their thing! I think this one died while doing the Chicken Dance!

post-2182-0-49025500-1425593497_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a new twist:

post-423-0-08996300-1429138782_thumb.jpg

The accompanying text reads:

size: the bird is about only 2 inches length;

this is a very rare tiny bird fossil, still in egg? please look each photos for details; please let me know if you have any question. Good luck!

It's $1,000.

Pretty obviously, the "bones" are scratched into the matrix.

I am going to watch it; I cannot believe that anyone would buy it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Wow, that is brutal. I'm not sure how these people are allowed to keep selling on eBay. That's almost as bad as the guy selling rugose coral as dino and saber toothed tiger teeth!

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

The big take-away should be that ebay cannot and does not vet for fraud; it is on you to assess the authenticity and condition from photographs before bidding.

I do understand that but what gets me is that a lot of this stuff is blatantly fraudulent. But you are correct, buyer beware!

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

The technique is expanding into other 'artistic novelties'...

post-423-0-71385400-1429801213_thumb.jpg

My personal favorite Chinese forgeries are the keichosaurus plates, that always seem to expire in a perfect sprawl.

If you show them a transitional, they'll ask for two more. ;)

Im sorry, but i would purchase a horribly faked fossil for the right price (just because of it's horrible beauty).

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Im sorry, but i would purchase a horribly faked fossil for the right price (just because of it's horrible beauty).

I can imagine them in a Victorian curiosity case; Steam Punk fossils. :P

Here's a new twist:

attachicon.gif~.jpg

The accompanying text reads:

size: the bird is about only 2 inches length;

this is a very rare tiny bird fossil, still in egg? please look each photos for details; please let me know if you have any question. Good luck!

It's $1,000.

Pretty obviously, the "bones" are scratched into the matrix.

I am going to watch it; I cannot believe that anyone would buy it!

Wow...

...I'm back.

If you want a fake, there are several places you can buy replicas... however, they are of a better quality, and they are far less expensive.

If you show them a transitional, they'll ask for two more. ;)

Archived