Gastropods Of The Pinecrest Sand

MikeR

Hi all

I am often asked about references that I use in the identification of the fossil shells that I collect around the Sarasota area. Most of these publications are out of print with outdated systematics. Since a specific monograph of the Pinecrest Member of the Tamiami Formation has never been published I have decided to try to do so at least at an amateur level (non-peer reviewed) as an extension of my Pliocene Project. Over time I hope to have a photo of each species within my collection that should cover the common and in some cases uncommon gastropods that can be found in the Sarasota area. I also most definitely welcome comments as to the accuracy of my identifications as some specie members are very difficult to differentiate. The following link will take you directly to the thumbnail view http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/2218-gastropods-of-the-pinecrest-sand/. First up is a single species from the Order Petellogastropda and the Family Fissurellidae aka key hole limpets from the Order Archaeogastropoda.

Enjoy

Mike

Edited by MikeR
  • I found this Informative 7

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thank you, Mike, for your ambitious undertaking. I used your images to ID three different limpets I have here. Having used your images, I think "notes" - currently empty - would be very helpful for anyone using the images.

I suggest that you point out at least one distinguishing feature that separates one species from a similar species. In the case of the fissurellids, such a note might be similar to "Fine radial ribs form a ray pattern" or "Radial ribs alternating size from large to small." (after Brayfields).

Identifying these mollusks is challenging, and an up-to-date guide would be welcome. Most of us haven't familiarized ourselves with the subtleties of mollusk morphology -- the APAC Challenge. It would be great to have some help from someone who has met the challenge.

First up is a single species from the Order Petellogastropda and the Family Fissurellidae aka key hole limpets from the Order Vetigastropoda.

Which is the proper order for the Family FISSURELLIDAE?

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi Harry

Thanks for the words of encouragement--I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. Eventually I will put in distinguishing characteristics in the note section however at this time I am concentrating on capturing and presenting the images of each shell and work a full time job as well. Right now I am using the notes section to point out differences that I have on published discriptions, synonymies, etc.

In regards to the taxonomy which is based on Turgeon et. al., 1998 Hemitoma retiporosa belongs to Patellogastropoda (misspelled in the gallery). Fissurellidae I have belonging to Vetigastropoda however Turgeon now uses Archaeogastropoda which I will also need to change.

Mike

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

This is really an amazing avocation! Where else do you see this kind of commitment to graciously recording and sharing such hard-earned knowledge? There is motivation here that goes well beyond the acquisition of personal collections; it is giving back to the pool of knowledge upon which all may drink at will. Is it, in part, driven by a desire to bring order to our world? This is one of the intangible gifts of the scientific mindset, this desire to sow rather that hoard, and every seed bears fruit for all to harvest.

Kudos!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Harry

Thanks for the words of encouragement--I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. Eventually I will put in distinguishing characteristics in the note section however at this time I am concentrating on capturing and presenting the images of each shell and work a full time job as well. Right now I am using the notes section to point out differences that I have on published discriptions, synonymies, etc.

In regards to the taxonomy which is based on Turgeon et. al., 1998 Hemitoma retiporosa belongs to Patellogastropoda (misspelled in the gallery). Fissurellidae I have belonging to Vetigastropoda however Turgeon now uses Archaeogastropoda which I will also need to change.

Mike

I do understand to some degree how big an undertaking you propose. You're smart to take it a small bit at a time. Of course, when you're through, the taxonomy probably will have shifted again. :blink: I'll look forward to your next installment.

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Yikes Mike...thanks in advance for sharing the expertise and the endeavor....looking forward to learning some more and trying to make some partial sense of at least one of the spoils piles in the garage....

post-1240-0-61628200-1425263282_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Congrats Mike !

And Chris, you have too many shells! I think that you should send part to Anjou (France) :ninja::wub::D:blush:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congrats Mike !

And Chris, you have too many shells! I think that you should send part to Anjou (France) :ninja::wub::D:blush:

Coco

Hi Coco, Yes you are absolutely correct. OK...Let me pick out some diff ones for you...

Regards, Chris

:blush: Really ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Posted in the Pinecrest Gallery is the last of the Archaeogastropoda

Family Trochidae

Tegula exoluta (Conrad, 1843)

Tegula lindae Petuch, 1994

Family Calliostomidae

Calliostoma mitchelli pontoni Mansfield, 1930

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/2218-gastropods-of-the-pinecrest-sand/

Edited by MikeR

Hey Mike, thanks for the latest!

I dont seem to have very many of these types of Archaeograstropods shells particularly the Turbo, Tegula and Calliostoma and for some odd reason. Again mine are random spoil finds only from APAC but now that you've shown pictures of these species I know I would have collected more if I had seen them. I do have a number of the operculums but I'm curious if you have any sense of their relative rarity in your collecting? Regards, Chris

Hey Mike, thanks for the latest!

I dont seem to have very many of these types of Archaeograstropods shells particularly the Turbo, Tegula and Calliostoma and for some odd reason. Again mine are random spoil finds only from APAC but now that you've shown pictures of these species I know I would have collected more if I had seen them. I do have a number of the operculums but I'm curious if you have any sense of their relative rarity in your collecting? Regards, Chris

I find that in many cases the operculum for Turbo is more common than the actual shell itself.

I find that in many cases the operculum for Turbo is more common than the actual shell itself.

Thanks Mike! Found quite a number of those that you've listed so far in my garage piles....I'm happy to get them to genus level and a separate label made for them! Havent found a Calliostoma out there or in the garage yet...I'll keep looking. Appreciate what you are doing!

post-1240-0-80805000-1426905000_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Nice. I have pictured most of what you show however the top two in the middle are Trigonostoma.

Nice. I have pictured most of what you show however the top two in the middle are Trigonostoma.

Thanks Mike..thought they might be different...dangit--thanks for the expertise and keeping me straight!

Regards, Chris

Added to my Pinecrest gallery are two gastropod orders represented by single species within my collection. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/2218-gastropods-of-the-pinecrest-sand/

Order Neritospina

Family Neritidae

Neritina virginea (Linne, 1758)

Order Architaenioglossa

Family Viviparidae

Viviparus georgianus (I. Lea, 1834)

Edited by MikeR

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted to the gallery the family Cerithiidae belonging to the large order of Neotanioglossa. The Cerithiidae is a diverse warm water family of detritus eaters which are difficult to accurately identify because they sometimes are found in large numbers in screened sediments.

Order Neotaenioglossa

Family Cerithiidae

Cerithioclava dalli (Olsson & Petit, 1964)

Cerithium callisoma Dall, 1892

Cerithium coccodes Olsson & Harbison, 1953

Cerithium glaphyrea Dall, 1892

Cerithium litharium Dall, 1892

Cerithium muscarum (Say, 1822)

Cerithium preatratum Olsson & Harbison, 1952

Cerithium triticum Olsson & Harbison, 1952

Cerithium wilcoxi Olsson & Harbison, 1952

Cerithium vicinia Olsson & Harbison, 1953

Rhinoclavis caloosaensis (Dall, 1892)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/2218-gastropods-of-the-pinecrest-sand/

Thanks Mike, this will be really helpful. The Cerithiidae drive me bonkers.

Don

Me too Don. That is why it is important to read the original description. Fortunately I have a hard copy of O & H and PDFs of Dall's works. I am also finding that the photography especially of the smaller species helps a lot.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have just posted the family Potamididae in Gastropods of the Pinecrest Sand Gallery. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/2218-gastropods-of-the-pinecrest-sand/

Order Neotaenioglossa

Family Potamididae

Cerithidea diegelae Petuch, 1994

Cerithidea lindae Petuch, 1994

Potamides cancelloides Aldrich, 1911

Pyrazisinus kissimmeensis (Olsson, 1967)

Pyrazisinus lindae Petuch, 1994

Pyrazisinus scalinus Olsson, 1967

The Potamidids are known under a number of common names; horn snails, mud whelks and mud creepers. They are a tropical to subtropical family living in brackish water mud flats and mangroves. Most of these are from the APAC Unit 4 brackish water facies also known as the black layer.

As a side note, I am having issues with producing quality images of shells in the 1 cm and smaller range with my current setup. I might have to eliminate these size shells in future posts until I have optimized my technique.

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the latest updates!!...I need to go look at what I have and cross ref. You are getting way ahead of me....keep it up!

By any chance is there any list that you have or is published with just APAC unit 11 invertebrates? I've collected several shark teeth that I'm guessing came from that unit but am wondering about the gastropods within...I still unfortunately haven't run across any Ecphora's at all yet. Again my stuff is all spoils except some insitu finds so maybe they've been reworked from some of the other lower/upper units...I've seen lots of pieces of different things including Chesaconcavus, Vermicularia, Mercenaria for sure from one general area and have single specimens of Hystrivasum, Subterynotus, and quite a few small interesting encrusting? bryozoans.

Regards, Chris

Your fossils are marvelous ! :wub::wub:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

I have just posted the family Potamididae in Gastropods of the Pinecrest Sand Gallery. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/2218-gastropods-of-the-pinecrest-sand/

Order Neotaenioglossa

Family Potamididae

Cerithidea diegelae Petuch, 1994

Cerithidea lindae Petuch, 1994

Potamides cancelloides Aldrich, 1911

Pyrazisinus kissimmeensis (Olsson, 1967)

Pyrazisinus lindae Petuch, 1994

Pyrazisinus scalinus Olsson, 1967

The Potamidids are known under a number of common names; horn snails, mud whelks and mud creepers. They are a tropical to subtropical family living in brackish water mud flats and mangroves. Most of these are from the APAC Unit 4 brackish water facies also known as the black layer.

As a side note, I am having issues with producing quality images of shells in the 1 cm and smaller range with my current setup. I might have to eliminate these size shells in future posts until I have optimized my technique.

Mike

Hi Mike, another question...You mentioned Unit 4 and its brackish water facies....I've seen a number of those darker gray/black specimens in the spoil examples that I have...I was wondering is there any explanation for the more reddish colored specimens? I have the tan/ beige/orange staining specimens and they seem to be derived from similar colored sediments, but havent seen any really reddish sediment...Do they represent any unit/special environment that you are aware of?

Here's a quick sample showing the reddish specimen on the very left...I've got a number of other gastropod species that have similar coloration.

post-1240-0-21166100-1433102039_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris