Sign in to follow this  
Castle Rock

Gainesboro Devonian Anyone?

Castle Rock

Greetings to ALL of you! Although I have been living in Texas for about 36 years, I have made numerous trips to the DC/northern Virginia area to visit my parents in Springfield. I lived back there myself for a number of years frowning up and made several trips to some meager outcrops near Gainesboro to look for trilobites (Phacops…NOW..Eldredgeops and for the rather odd looking Pleurodictyum corals). I would like to know if any of you are familiar with the Mahantango (Hamilton Group) outcrops in that area, and on down to the Gore, VA area. I have not been there in at least 10 years and my only "contact" is with Google Earth images. From what I THINK I see, it would appear that at least some of the outcrops along the road have been "improved" to OBLIVION! I am hoping that SOMEONE can give me a FRESH report on the hunting in the area. THANKS! Dave in FOSSIL STARVED Midland, Texas

Castle Rock

SORRY for that TYPO…..GROWING UP in the area…NOT "frowning" ….SHEESH!

Auspex

The little outcrop across from the store in Gore should still be accessible. The highway now bypasses it, so you have to look for the exit east of town to get there.

cck

Hey Dave -the road cut just west of Isaac's Creek on 522 is still productive, just watch the traffic. Good Luck

Castle Rock

To cck: THANK YOU for the helpful response. In the past, my favorite spot was on the west side of the intersection of 522 and Siler road. It would APPEAR that this smaller mound has been covered over with soil and vegetation. Can you tell me (us?) what you have found at the road cut that you are mentioning? Dave

cck

Just classic Mahantango fauna-Phacops Rana, spirifers, etc.

Castle Rock

THANKS again! I should have also asked you where I would find Isaacs Creek? I have not been in that area for a VERY long time. Dave

Fossildude19

Dave,

I think this might be the area CCK is talking about.

post-2806-0-39885200-1426109455_thumb.jp

Regards,

EDIT: It looks to be about a mile - mile and a half north of Siler Rd?

post-2806-0-90551700-1426109954_thumb.jp

Edited by Fossildude19

cck

You've got it 19. The cut is on the north side of the road, but the median has some goodies too. Thanks to Jasper Burns for my first trilobite.

Castle Rock

Once again…my THANKS to both Tim AND cck! I need to come up there sometime this year. Maybe I will drop a note and possibly get together with one of you guys! Dave

Fossildude19

Once again…my THANKS to both Tim AND cck! I need to come up there sometime this year. Maybe I will drop a note and possibly get together with one of you guys! Dave

Dave,

Better contact cck! I'm a bit too far away to collect there. ;)

Good luck to you, if you go!

Regards,

cck

Yes, I'm closer. Give a shout if you are coming up.

Castle Rock

cck: Please send me a PM with your contact info and I will provide me in regular email. Dave