Great Texas Hunting

garyc

After JCBshark's spectacular day, I had to represent Texas! This is the haul from my best day ever as far as quantity and diversity goes. Two sloth toes, 2 giant armadillo osteoderms, 2 gator/croc osteoderms, camelops tooth, llama phalanx, proboscidean carpal?, another proboscidean large limb chunk, a tiny 1.5in phalanx surrounded by matrix and a point! The second pic is full of chunkosaurs and a nice piece of pet. palm wood.

post-5020-0-01413700-1425267362_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-90840300-1425267370_thumb.jpg

Very nice, i agree, the phalanges are wicked cool!

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Awesome!

I probably already know the answer to this question but......

Was the point associated with any of the finds?

Normally creek finds are so scattered that associating a singular find with another is remarkable.

Sloth finds are very interesting, never run across one in all my treks.

Now get out there and find a rhino.....something else I have not come across.

Jess B.

Fellow Texan...

Interestingly...it's conceivable that garyc could find a rhino in his area. There are a number of exposures of Miocene sediments along the Texas Gulf Coast that have yielded rhino remains, My only successes at finding rhinos in Texas have been up in the Panhandle area where Miocene/Pliocene sediments are also exposed. One might also have some modicum of success in the Big Bend area if you were looking for Eocene/Oligocene rhinos and 'running' rhinos.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Awesome haul Gary! I too am pretty found of the sloth material but a nice point will make anyones day too! : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks y'all. I'm not sure if the point was associated or not. It was found not too far from all the other material. Rhino would definitely be cool.

Kudos, Gary. It's good to see some of the less common material. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ