Nautiloid?

mariont

Hello, this was found in Manitoba. It is about 4"long and 4" in diameter. This piece had weathered out and there was at least another 4 - 6" encased in stone. The interior has crystallized. Is it a straight nautiloid?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!post-17690-0-79004600-1425317256_thumb.jpgpost-17690-0-99896000-1425317269_thumb.jpgpost-17690-0-30864200-1425317288_thumb.jpg

Maybe a great big re-crystallized horn coral?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think is a re-crystallized coral part from a coral colony.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It's a corallite, a single organism of a coral, the colony. Anyway it's a really nice piece! (maybe a fasciculated coral?)

Hello, this was found in Manitoba. It is about 4"long and 4" in diameter. This piece had weathered out and there was at least another 4 - 6" encased in stone. The interior has crystallized. Is it a straight nautiloid?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!attachicon.gifPhoto 1.jpgattachicon.gifPhoto 2.jpgattachicon.gifPhoto 3.jpg

No Nautilus

Can you be any more specific than just "Manitoba" for the locality? There is a lot of Ordovician (Winnipeg, Red River, Stoney Mountain, and part of the Stonewall formations), plus several Silurian and Devonian formations in the Interlake area. All those formations are exposed at places along the shore and islands in Lake Winnipeg and Winnipegosis. The style of preservation reminds me of some of the upper members of the Stoney Mountain, the Stonewall, and some of the Silurian Interlake Group formations. A more specific locality could help narrow down the age. I know of a couple of Silurian corals that look a bit like that, but they are much smaller (the corallites are only 2-4 mm across).

Don

Archived