Sandstone Replacement Fossil Clams?

rockrose

This cluster (for lack of a better word, since I don't know the language!) was found several years ago by my husband. He was doing some excavating work to level a ranch road on a slope in San Miguel, CA. His blade kept hitting what felt like a large rock each time he made a pass while keying into the upslope. Out rolled a big clam ball so he pushed it on down the slope.

He told me about it when he came home that night and I made him promise he'd get it and bring it home the next day.

It had broken into three pieces, one of which I gave to a biologist friend. The other two have been sitting out in the elements for years until now. Pictured is the smaller piece and several of the clams that came off it. I do not know what this would be called so that I can look up info about it. Can anyone help me here? post-0-0-41054400-1425349337_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-80989500-1425349898_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-69896600-1425350032_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-61552000-1425350456_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-49214400-1425350750_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-30383400-1425350834_thumb.jpg

WOW! great start to your fossil collection. Others will have info for you, I don't get that far west. :)

Nifty! I wonder under what conditions they accumulated in such a mass?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm seeing a lot of phosphatic bits and pebbles. I'd say this is a lag concentration. But my knowledge is limited to the east coast (disclaimer)

I'm seeing a lot of phosphatic bits and pebbles. I'd say this is a lag concentration. But my knowledge is limited to the east coast (disclaimer)

Lag is certainly possible, but don't they seem mostly to be articulated? Where accumulated by the energy of moving water, I expect to see more of them 'on the half shell'. Maybe a mud slide?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for looking and for your input. Can anyone steer me in the direction to find out more information about this?

I'm a total amateur in this field and don't even know the "language", but have a desire to learn all I can. Due to the fact that I am handicap and mostly homebound, I cannot go out and join a group to expand my knowledge. I stumbled on this wonderful forum while searching for answers about some "finds"! It's wonderful to find a place where people can come to ask questions and share. Again, thanks for all your help.

Could be evidence of tsunami.

I too have found many wonderful things operating heavy equipment.

So much so that I got picky and left so much just laying there only to be covered up to never be seen again.

Homes, streets, commercial buildings, parking lots covering some fantastic deposits.

Getting back to tsunami, that could explain the presence of "both halves" no distinct orientation. (jumbled)

Internal casts of clam fossils (pelecypod) without "shell" is referred to as a "steinkern".

Right out of the matrix in good distinct condition.

Jess B.

Archived