Is This Nebrius Sp.?

old bones

I found this tonight in Sacha's Rattlesnake Creek, Gainesville, Florida matrix. I know there is some Eocene in it as well as the more recent.

post-13648-0-91519000-1425435896_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Definitely look like Nebrius to me, and in particular Nebrius obliquus, an Eocene species I have collected in North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama (so Florida would not be surprising). However some Ginglymostoma species, including the modern nurse shark (also reported from the Miocene), can be similar, so you might want to check against that possibility as well.

Don

Ginglymostoma. The central cusp is proportionally larger than it would be in Nebrius when compared to the lateral cusps.

Definitely look like Nebrius to me, and in particular Nebrius obliquus, an Eocene species I have collected in North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama (so Florida would not be surprising). However some Ginglymostoma species, including the modern nurse shark (also reported from the Miocene), can be similar, so you might want to check against that possibility as well.

Don

Ginglymostoma. The central cusp is proportionally larger than it would be in Nebrius when compared to the lateral cusps.

Thank you both for taking the time to look at this. I appreciate it. :)

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png