Ebay Verts Fron China

luluboo1

Plesse talk some sense into me. What are the chances of getting an authentic Confuciornis, a turyle in matrix, and a complete Trionyx shell from an ebay dealer from China. Im tempted to make a mistake here. Opinions please.

The penalties in China for exporting nonexempt vertebrate fossils are severe. Artistic recreations are exempt, and it is not against Chinese law for these to be misrepresented as genuine outside of China. The chance of acquiring a genuine specimen on the open market is zero.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Chance of a real, legally exported Confuciornis zero. Anyone caught trying to export one gets a very severe penalty from China, anyone caught importing one into the USA gets a visit from the FBI. Your choice if you want to go ahead, but I would advise against it.

Thank you everyone. you told me what I knew already, but the fossil bug bites hard and clouds judgement.

Ah, the siren song...

Tie yourself to the mast if you must, but resist the irresistible call!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...and don't believe to be safe if you only buy from US sellers. There is at least one US seller (100% positive feedback, over 200items sold!) who offers faked chinese turtels (Manchurochelys liaoxiensis, also known as Ordosemys liaoxiensis....), hyphalosaurs and occasionally birds.

Before China got strict about this there were lots of Confusiusornis for sale at the Denver show. I imagine many are now in American collections. You could try to find one and pull out a big fat wallet.

No big fat wallet here. Decided to go for some micro teeth. Who is gonna fake those?