Muscle Attachments Or Something Else.

DE&i

Would anyone recognise these vein like structures , perhaps where muscle attachments once were? And if so why are there prominent ridges left on the bone.

Im just trying to get a little foot hold on these markings to start some research if anyone could help.

post-13364-0-89733500-1425585490_thumb.jpgpost-13364-0-61224700-1425585515_thumb.jpgpost-13364-0-69214100-1425585552_thumb.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

I'm no expert, but I can chime in a little. ;)

The structures you're showing there are too small to be the muscle attachment points. I suspect that they're not significant to the critter. A good example of what muscle attachments look like is on a bird's breastbone: the flat sides on the keel anchor the breast muscles. Human cheekbones are another example; that's where the jaw muscles attach. Usually, muscles attach to ridges that are proportional to the size of the muscle.

If you've ever looked closely at fresh chicken bones at dinner, you may have noticed that they are sheathed in a fairly tough membrane. The texture of the bone under the membrane isn't usually completely smooth, and has some variability. Leg bones will have a rougher texture near the joint ends, for instance, and tend to be smoother in the middle.

I suspect that the rough texture helps to keep the membranes in place, which in turn anchors the muscles (among other functions).

So, while one of more muscles probably did attach to the textured area, it's not the texture that defines the attachment point.

Good question, and I'll be interested to see if anyone else chimes in! :D

I'm no expert, but I can chime in a little. ;)

The structures you're showing there are too small to be the muscle attachment points. I suspect that they're not significant to the critter. A good example of what muscle attachments look like is on a bird's breastbone: the flat sides on the keel anchor the breast muscles. Human cheekbones are another example; that's where the jaw muscles attach. Usually, muscles attach to ridges that are proportional to the size of the muscle.

If you've ever looked closely at fresh chicken bones at dinner, you may have noticed that they are sheathed in a fairly tough membrane. The texture of the bone under the membrane isn't usually completely smooth, and has some variability. Leg bones will have a rougher texture near the joint ends, for instance, and tend to be smoother in the middle.

I suspect that the rough texture helps to keep the membranes in place, which in turn anchors the muscles (among other functions).

So, while one of more muscles probably did attach to the textured area, it's not the texture that defines the attachment point.

Good question, and I'll be interested to see if anyone else chimes in! :D

Hi There,

Thank you for your suggestion that has really helped me quite a bit.

So far I've read this is a relatively normal 'rugose' surface that you get on some bones,

particularly where there is a lot of muscle attaching to the surface of the

bone. Also I think it may be related to older individuals, but it may be a

pathological thing relating to infection or arthritic issues.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

I know that arthritis involves the formation of calcium deposits on bones, I think usually at the joints. I'm not sure of it looks like these textures or not.

I'd recommend researching bone growth patterns. I've noticed with chicken leg bones that the middle of the shaft tends to be fairly smooth under the membrane, while the joint ends are textured. I could be wrong, but I think bones grow fastest at the ends as the animal grows. I suspect that is more of a factor than age or arthritis. Most roasted chicken tend to be younger birds.

Good luck! :D

Archived