Lower Mammal Canine

Shellseeker

Somewhat medium size approximately 1.7 inches in length. It has a non_bulbous root and significant tip damage.

post-2220-0-99434900-1425608991_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-39013300-1425609024_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-80395500-1425609067_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-60521400-1425609099_thumb.jpg

All assistance and comments greatly appreciated. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

hmmm Jack....I know they are not the same but l have a couple scraps that look similar but yours has more of an upturned dramatic bend/angle...I took some photos and am trying to edit/upload them and looking for the other one....

I'm very much interested to hear what the experts say yours is...Good luck with the ID..may it be something different! I dont know what mine is but had thrown in with the unknown whale/dolphin/porp shards...

Edit: adding pictures looking for the other examples....cant find em...

post-1240-0-18997900-1425614141_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-11249900-1425613957_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-51452200-1425613964_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

Jack, I think you have a horse (equus) canine. I never heard of horse canines before I took a couple to Hulbert, but male equus have them.

• I found this Informative 1

Jack, I think you have a horse (equus) canine. I never heard of horse canines before I took a couple to Hulbert, but male equus have them.

That's cool...not sure I've seen any of those.

I think I need a comparative gallery of really broken up and messed up stuff to help with most of the crud I have--lots to learn! Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

Chris, yours look to be the same. Mine are in somewhat better shape, but they don't look pristine like other teeth. I don't know if the enamel isn't as thick, or as dense, or these teeth take a beating during the horses lifetime.

Chris, yours look to be the same. Mine are in somewhat better shape, but they don't look pristine like other teeth. I don't know if the enamel isn't as thick, or as dense, or these teeth take a beating during the horses lifetime.

Thanks John. Regards, Chris

For comparison:

attachicon.gifhorseequuscanines.JPG

Harry, have you ever heard an explanation for the generally poorer condition of these teeth than other mammal teeth of the same age found at the same site?

Harry, have you ever heard an explanation for the generally poorer condition of these teeth than other mammal teeth of the same age found at the same site?

It might be simple physics, Sacha. The canines are thin-bladed teeth isolated by diastemata in the toothrow. In even a low-energy situation, these teeth are vulnerable to depositional forces. You can think of a canine as a weak pivot supporting a long, heavy lever arm (the rear of the jaw). Teeth in a tight toothrow, like the horse premolars and molars, are protected better, not only by their stout construction, but also by the support they get from adjoining teeth.

(edit: sp.)

Edited by Harry Pristis
  • I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks to all -- excellent ID since the enamel is somewhat beat up. The location I have been hunting has a LOT of equus materials. I went back today and found this one in much better shape and more clearly a horse canine.

post-2220-0-81363000-1425693422_thumb.jpg

Harry, the tooth from yesterday was 1.7 inches, this new one is 1.25 inches. Is this smaller tooth from a juvenile?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Horses don't have deciduous canines. These teeth are adult teeth which don't increase in size with age. If there is a substantial size difference, it may be that the smaller tooth is from a smaller individual of the same species OR from a smaller species of horse.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks to all -- excellent ID since the enamel is somewhat beat up. The location I have been hunting has a LOT of equus materials. I went back today and found this one in much better shape and more clearly a horse canine.

attachicon.gifHorse_WolfTooth.jpg

Harry, the tooth from yesterday was 1.7 inches, this new one is 1.25 inches. Is this smaller tooth from a juvenile?

Another nice addition..learned a bunch from this one..If I can just stop forgetting it I'd be in awesome shape! Regards, Chris