Has My Diplomystus Been Painted?

I know it is a real fossil, but am unsure if it has been touched up with paint or not. What do you all think?

1_zpsrl5smibd.jpg

3_zpslgp9f5ok.jpg

2_zpss2spfhkg.jpg

5_zpszpteny3j.jpg

Thank you.

It is mostly real, but yes, there is some paint/ink accentuating the missing areas of the fossil.

Much of the fin rays, including much of the caudal fin, and the fin supports look painted on.

Not sure how one goes about removing it, though.

Personally, I wish sellers would stop doing that to the fish. I think it kind of ruins the fish.

I prefer the au naturale look.

Regards,

EDIT: to add comments.

I know why the sellers do this - to make a more complete fish that will then sell better, but some of the paint jobs out there are so bad, It defies imagination.

Your fossil, however, doesn't look bad.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You can see a difference. The lighter "enhancement" coloring to fill in the places void of bone. I too prefer the fossils be kept in there natural "as is" state. I especially am not fond of those big plates (slabs) that have palm fronds and such painted on them to create scenery. Just leave them as found!

You may be able to go over those filled in areas with an appropriate darker color to at least match the other bone. No sure if you can remove the added coloring without doing some amount of destruction to the fossil plate. That silt stone can be quite fragile and literally disintegrate if wetted down. You may as well just enjoy it as it is.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Look at it under a 10X loupe and you will have your answer. From the photos it does look "enhanced." I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble, diplos are fairly common Green River critters. No matter, it displays fine, just enjoy it.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree that there has been some touching up. It is not uncommon to touch up fish, even common ones, to make them more attractive to those who are collecting them as a display piece rather than a fossil. I have a quarry in the split layer and we sell both, although if they have been restored, we indicate the restoration. It is done because there is a much larger market in the home decor arena that simply the fossil market alone.

Not saying it is right or wrong, but that is just how it is.

Still a nice fish. It is typically a water based paint that is used, but it is possible that it has been sealed to prevent dust and flaking. Much better than those who always paint the entire fish. In my opinion, that destroys the entire fossil.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Sorry, I meant to post this sooner!

I did a bit of an experiment with your pic, ... I enhanced the color in the top pic, and then reversed black and white on the color picture.

You can easily see the less sharp/lighter lines are the painted on ones.

It appears that the dorsal ridge scales are painted on as well, with a darker ink.

post-2806-0-81433100-1425909457_thumb.jp

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Archived